3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for help to stop rear wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
2avoid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help to stop rear wheel hop

I put srt killer paxton super charger in. Now I cant keep the back end planted .Should I go with a srt10 rear setup or 4 link

Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 AM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: Looking for help to stop rear wheel hop

The fact is that a relatively light-weight rear, more power, and a live-axle dangling on stiff leaf-springs, controlled more or less by middling quality truck shocks is a sure formula for wheel hop.

Start eliminating any of these (the more the better) and things may well improve--a little to a lot. Obviously, the factory did the homework on the "Tenor" so it would be a decent start. However, a good 4 or 5 link system can be made to work, but unless someone does the job who knows what they are doing, not just swapping parts that might be laying around or on-the-shelf, matters can be made worse.

All the best.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:54 PM
2avoid

I have done everthing you spoke of . when i droped the truck is when the problem got worse. Since then Ive redone the pinyon angle and flip the helper spring over. Thats made it better

Old 09-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Avanti
Captain

You didn't say you had already modified the suspension!

Lowering anything frequently aggrevates problems already present. For example, when lowering one of the first things to go is adequate suspension travel and to conrol bottoming spring stiffness is ncreased ("helper springs," no less?--yikes!), both of which contribute to wheel hop. The easiest thing to try is some temperary extra weight--but since you've apparently already tried this... Also, all aftermarket shocks are NOT created equally. In fact some are even junkier than stock.

Too many unknowns at this point for me to comment further. I'd have to see your truck.

Best of luck.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:52 PM
2avoid

I DROP THE REAR 4.5' AND RESET THE REAR ANGLE AT OEM SPECS, THE SHOCKS ARE BILSTINE AND ARE SHORTER. THE REASON FOR FLIPING THE HELPERS WAS THE ARCH IS TO FAR AWAY AFTER FLIPING THE SPRINGS, AND THOUGHT THAT WOULD STIFFIN THE SPRING TO STOP AXLE TWIST

Old 09-18-2005, 03:28 PM
vestpuzzle1
Professional

ORIGINAL: 2avoid

I DROP THE REAR 4.5' AND RESET THE REAR ANGLE AT OEM SPECS, THE SHOCKS ARE BILSTINE AND ARE SHORTER. THE REASON FOR FLIPING THE HELPERS WAS THE ARCH IS TO FAR AWAY AFTER FLIPING THE SPRINGS, AND THOUGHT THAT WOULD STIFFIN THE SPRING TO STOP AXLE TWIST
Hey there 2avoid,
Why don't you just leave it stock and put some good old Ladder traction bars
on it ? thanx....R.V.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:06 AM
2avoid

IVE THOUGHT ABOUT LADDER BARS,BUT WAS TOLD THEY HELP STOP AXLE TWIST,AND NOT HOP. I THINK 4 OR 5 LINK MAY BE THE WAY TO GO, BUT CANT FIND A SET FOR THE RAM. HELP ANYONE???

Quick Reply: Looking for help to stop rear wheel hop