3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 5.7L 1500 Vibration issue / bad tire wear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 AM
chrispix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 5.7L 1500 Vibration issue / bad tire wear.

Hello,

First post here.. Hopefully I can find someone who has had a similar issue w/ a couple items.. Not sure if they are related ... But I will try and put the symptoms all together, then what I have found after that...

The truck : 2007 1500 w/ 5.7L 4x4 Quad Cab. 56,000 miles.. Usually drive it about 8k miles / year.. commute is only 9 miles each way.. 90% highway.

I have two issues that could be closely related (and possibly a 3rd).. They have been going on for probably 2 years or more.. Just finally getting tired of replacing tires/hearing noises/vibrations..

Symptom #1 - Strange front tread wear pattern on tires.. Almost looks like every other tread is getting worn, or the front part of a tread is at a different height than the back part of the tread ... (think hack saw blade).. I took a picture of it up on the lift, and it almost looks like the tires are not round, but like a polygon...

Symptom #2 - Vibration at 65-75mph (not gone higher than this).. Vibration seems apparent when highway driving 70mph, and going around a corner in the highway.. Taking a wider radius seems to lessen the vibration.. Inside radius makes it worse.. It can be so bad that the passenger seat shakes.. Feels like shaking is coming from front of truck.

Symptom #3 - At very low speeds, if I roll my window down driving next to a wall (think of going through a fast food drive through).. I hear a clicking/ticking.. Not consistent, but there almost the whole time (kind of comes goes w/ no particular pattern while rolling).. But the best way I could describe the sound is getting gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe, and walking across a linoleum floor, and the sound the foot makes pulling away from the floor sticking/snapping what ever.. Is kind of how it sounds. I did check the tires for GUM and stones, but found none..

So some things I have done / may help identify the issue :
0) Running OEM tires on OEM 20's (already replaced 1x)... Almost time for 2nd set at < 60k miles.
1) Rotated tires
2) Balanced tires
3) Alignment done (was in spec when they got it in).
4) Had a friend w/ a scope listen to the slow roll tick.. Seems to have narrowed it down to the transfer case for front wheel drive..
5) Put truck on a lift, and put it in 4 wheel drive and we heard the ticking when the wheels started rotating (front ones).. Did not hear it in 2 wheel drive and only back were rotating.
**NOTE** I drive 99.99% of the time in 2WD mode.
6) Changed the fluid on front and rear diff a couple months ago, nothing in front or rear diff looked bad (the issues were going on for a couple years before doing the fluid replacement, so it is not a cause of my issues)
7) I was reading that a possible cause of angled / striped pattern (closest to what I was seeing on my treads). Was bad suspension... / / / / / /..
** NOTE ** The city where I live has had some horrible pot holes at night.. I have hit a few on my street at 20mph which I thought I could have bent a rim. as it felt so hard..
8) Visual inspection of shocks/struts seemed to indicate no leakage, issues.. Although was not very thorough.
9) Front of truck 'may' be sitting 1" lower than when I purchased it, that is the impression I get when comparing to other trucks parked next to me.. I may be wrong..
10) when on the lift, and in 2wd.. Left and Right front tires spun interdependently (as they should).
-- edit -- 11) Forgot about this one.. Seems when reversing and cutting the wheel hard to the right.. It almost sounds like the tire is rubbing on something.

I figured I would come here first and see if anyone had any suggestions. There is a local place where I can rent lift time / tools, so I can do the repairs myself.. But w/out any ideas / things to investigate / known issues... I was planning on replacing the shocks/struts on the truck.. And at the same time opening up the transfer case, and seeing if anything was obvious in there.. (broken link in chain or something?)

Thanks in advance! I used to be pretty active on another dodge truck forum, and that seems be a ghost town for the last several years...

Chris.

Last edited by chrispix; 03-04-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

screams wheel bearing too me

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Yinzer
Professional

Originally Posted by Nate_sorenson
screams wheel bearing too me
I second this, it's also the one thing you haven't changed yet.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
chrispix

Thanks for the suggestion, makes me feel a bit better about my initial thought. When I had it up on the lift I gave the wheels a tug and did not see any play.. I suppose that does not mean much if something is bound up or getting bound up at speed/heat.. I figure why not just go ahead and replace the wheel bearings anyway..

So. Guess that is my next step..

Any suggestions on replacement brand/parts? Should I do all 4 corners, and just be done with it? (Suggestion on reseller?)

Thanks.. Appreciate it..

Chris.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM
chrispix

I figured a picture of the treads might not help.. They seem to be getting worn a but more on the outside edge of the tire... And you can see the light/dark areas on the outer strip of the treads alternating.. That is where there are high/low spots..

Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
rlitwin

It looks like your alignment is off. When toe is set incorrectly, it will cause the uneven, feather wear. Inside tire wear will also be toe and/or camber.

It is hard to tell from the pics, but that's my guess.

Quick Reply: 2007 5.7L 1500 Vibration issue / bad tire wear.