3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 to 08 1500 4X4 specific suspension lift qustions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 AM
waynofish
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 to 08 1500 4X4 specific suspension lift qustions

I searched the forum but couldn't find any specific answers to these questions. I have a 2007 1500 4X4 QC that has a leveling kit and 35X12.50 cooper MT's. I'm thinking of bumping it up a bit more. One option is adding a 3" body lift to what I have but I'm curious how much of the frame would be visible under the truck so I'm thinking suspension as another possible option. That's were my questions will be aimed at.

For starters, I've heard that some, or most of the suspension systems for this truck require 18" or bigger wheels. That's not going to cut it for me as I have 17's already and the tires have about 10000 miles so changing them is out of the question. Besides, I prefer the look of the 17's anyway. So, would my 17's still work with a 4" or 6" suspension? If anybody has a suspension lift with 17" wheels, what brand lift and were there any issues?

If I go with a suspension, I would remove the current 2 1/2" spacers. Is that just a matter of replacing the longer bolts with stock length ones? Is it easy to do? I actually had them installed by a shop so I'm not sure if I would need to rent/buy a strut compressor or not.

As far as installing a suspension is concerned. How difficult? Are they strictly bolt on or is there any welding involved? Cutting? Any special tools such as strut compressor? I have no idea about welding so if that's necessary a suspension is out as I would plan to do this myself. I don't like the idea of cutting either (actually me doing it) so that would probably rule it out as well. Can one person do it in a weekend?

I have installed suspension kits on straight axle 4X4's in the past as well as body lifts so I understand the involvement but am looking at the feasibility of a 07 1/2 ton 4X4 IFS strut dodge this time.

thanks

Last edited by waynofish; 03-04-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 to 08 1500 4X4 specific suspension lift qustions