3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Violent shaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I have

Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Well mechanic has had it for four days now constantly driving it along with other mechanics in the shop. None of them can get it to do the violent shaking. I descriped every detail to him when it does it. He has checked out the entire truck top to bottom. Everything suspension, drive line, engine, etc. Can not find a thing wrong with the truck. He was shocked by how clean of a truck it is. With what I have described to him, he said possible shocks, but that is a total shot in the dark. He doesn't want me to spend the money to do it when he really does not know if that will fix the problem. We have no idea what it could be. He said shocks rebound fine when compressed by hand and there is no leaking on them at all. He did say they are original and I have almost 90k miles on the truck. Like i said I have no shaking in the steering wheel, but the entire "body" of the truck shakes. When it does shake violently, seems like steering gets a little loose and is squirly and kinda go all over the place in my lane. Shaking is so bad that my door locks are loose now, interior is rattling and falling apart, drives window is now becoming loose. If anyone has any more suggestions or anything, that would be great. That is the update for now. Mechanic is going to have it for a few more days to drive it and see if he can get it to shake or figure anything out.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to see it happen in order to give you any more to go on.... I'd try going to a dealer honestly, unless you reallllly reallllly trust this mechanic you brought it to.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Ya I do trust him. My family has been going to him and his dad for at least 20 years. I was researching on this site and found a guy that has the same exact shaking symptoms and it turned out to be his steering box. Only thing is he has a 95 1500 4x4. Don't know if that would make a difference and if that is something I should have my mechanic look in too.

Btw.. I took it to dodge 3 times under warranty and they told me there was nothing wrong. I really don't trust them. They also told me my truck had 5 new tires on it and I signed a paper when i bought it saying what all it had included and come to find out the spare was flat and no good old tire. Took it back in and they magically lost that paper I signed.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Izero
Champion

well that sucks...

As for the issue you referenced...

that is called Death Wobble, which might very well be the cause of your problem.

If you have a mega cab truck then it's possible you are having that problem.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Ya I know what the death wobble is, my dad has it in his truck. But as far as I knew the death wobble only happened in heavy duty trucks. But as for the 1995 ram 1500, I did more research and my mechanic also said that on the 95 they have a steering box system. Obviously my truck is a rack and pinion. So i guess that rules that out. I want it fixed strictly because I no longer like driving the truck because it shakes so bad.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Is it possible that it could still be a U joint even if there is no play in the driveshaft and they look good? I have been told that they can cease up and you will never know besides shaking until you drop the drive shaft.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Sounds like you got out of round tires or a unmatched set....happened to me several years back when I bought tires from Sam's club my truck would insanely shake at any time but not all the time... hit a bump in the road and it would go nuts to the point I had to stop. The tire tread was "puzzle shaped" as apposed to having grooves going around the circumference of the tire and they would nibble and lose their harmonic balance to the point of losing control. Changed out tires and never had it happen again.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Well these are new tires, and it was doing it with my old tires too.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by dodgeram0328
Ya I know what the death wobble is, my dad has it in his truck. But as far as I knew the death wobble only happened in heavy duty trucks. But as for the 1995 ram 1500, I did more research and my mechanic also said that on the 95 they have a steering box system. Obviously my truck is a rack and pinion. So i guess that rules that out. I want it fixed strictly because I no longer like driving the truck because it shakes so bad.

If it shakes so badly, why couldn't the mechanics replicate the problem? Unless they didn't actually drive it.

What I would do is have them sit in the passenger seat and then get on a highway and show them what happens myself.

Is your truck 100% stock or has it been modified?

The only other thing I can think of is it might have a leveling kit, torsion bar twist, or a lift kit on it that is causing the CV joints to be at a bad angle and thus causing your vibration problems.

Beyond that, this problem seems like it's going to require you to throw a large number of parts at it as well as time and money.

If the truck is 100% bone stock, then you are going to have to start by getting the drive shaft balanced, then replace all of the U-Joints, and might as well replace the tie rod ends while you are at it.

If the driveshaft is balanced, then check the angle it is at... if the angle is off by more than 1.5 degrees then there is your problem, and you can solve it by following this post:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2941733-post1.html

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Violent shaking