3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to forum and have a few serpentine belt questions (Squealing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Ric Catlin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New to forum and have a few serpentine belt questions (Squealing)

I replaced the water pump in my 2004 dodge 2500 because of a leak and a loud squealing noise. I figured it was all the coolant that had got into the automatic tensioner or one of the pulleys that was making the noise. So i replaced that and the other two idler pulleys and its still squeaking. Any idea what it could be. Its not a belt squeal its coming from one of the pulleys on another part. I bought a new power steering pump but I dont want to replace it if I dont have to. Any ideas??? Please help this noise is driving me insane. I noticed that at an idle it quiets down and then as you accelerate it gets a lil louder and continues to squeak. Its a crunchy noise.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Axle Eighty

I certainly don't claim to be an expert but if it were me I'd go to harbor freight, buy a $10 mechanics stethoscope and use that to listen for which pulley is screaming. With the motor running, touch the probe near the individual pulleys, not on the spinning wheel. You should be able to pick up the specific whine from a point near or a non spinning pulley bolt.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Take the belt off and spin each pulley by hand. With it being quiet may help pin point problem.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Did you change the belt when you did the Water pump?
The reason I ask is some brand of belts have steel cords that when exposed will cause a annoying squeak. Double check the edges of the belt.

Quick Reply: New to forum and have a few serpentine belt questions (Squealing)