3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new to the forums, a few performance based questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
yddeh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the forums, a few performance based questions

Hey everyone

A few months ago i got myself an 06 1500 SLT quad 4x4. Love the truck, im wanting to coax more power out of the hemi. My future plans are a set of BBK shorty headers, BBK cold air intake, and possibly the BBK throttlebody 85mm. Along with a dual exhaust setup and programmer.

My question here is primarily about the BBK throttlebody:

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...?car_motor_key[]=797&car_motor_key[]=1168&car_motor_key[]=1633

Ive been doing alot of research and found some conflicting results on whether or not its worth it to install that in terms of power gains. Some say it adds power, others say its negligible and your better off putting your money into other mods.

Anyone personally have experience with this?. Id really like your insight.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take this for what it's worth...

throttle bodies have to be one of the biggest scams out there in terms of adding performance.. they ride their success on their predecessor, the carb.. carbs actually were responsible for air AND fuel, where throttle bodies simply regulate air..

rule: more air in AND more air out, the more power generated by an engine..

rule: a larger throttle body allows more air IN..

both are true.. but what makes them true is that they are based on the same RPM, and that RPM is the MAXIMUM RPM an engine can turn..

rule: volume of consumption from a smaller TB can be achieved by more velocity of intake. higher velocity of intake creates more low end power.

rule: larger volume of air can be consumed through a larger TB when velocity is matched, and increase top end power..

your assignment: determine what RPM you use, or want to use with that engine, and allow that to determine the grind of camshaft.. let that determine how fast or completely you intake and exhaust (throttle body and headers).. run the numbers generated from the engine to determine what relationship you need from fluid coupling (torque converter), through your transmission and to your axle ratio..

tossing parts such as a TB at an engine without a well laid out plan can cost you as easily as it can help you- you may find you're addressing it again in short order, or you may be costing yourself ponies w/o ever knowing it because the parts and pieces don't compliment each other..

short answer? your factory TB is fine, for now.. Air to it can be addressed, and air out should be addressed first..

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Busdriver9
Professional
Old 03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just want to spend a lot of money for parts stick with the bbk stuff you can find the same things you are looking for but pay a lot less. look in the diy section at the home made cai. Also you would benefit from a good programmer like super chips or diablo.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
yddeh

thanks for the input guys . Muchly appreciated.

Drew, thank you for laying the TB issue out a little more clearly. I think ill probably hold off for now and examine that in the future if needed .

Now all i need are some pics of my rig in my profile.

Quick Reply: new to the forums, a few performance based questions