3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to change/replace struts inside coil spring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change/replace struts inside coil spring?

OK I really need new shocks and struts bad my truck bounce hard when I pass a small bump road I even need to hold my drink while driving cause it spill over. However I need hints and help of how to replace struts inside coil spring in the front wheels. Haven't found no videos of how to begin, gonna be my first time changing it and I wanna do it myself. Wanna get either ranchero or bilstein. Here a photo how it looks like...

http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/ta...tml?sort=3&o=0

Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 PM
BigSloth
Professional

That's not a strut, it's a shock. And you don't need to do anything special to the spring, there are two bolts from the bottom that hold in the bar pin on the shock. For the top, the shock rod is actually threaded at the top, there's a nut that holds that on. Lock a pair of vice grips on the rod to keep it from rotating while you loosen the nut. Once you get that off the shock will slide right out the bottom. The top part of the old bushing will remain up top under the nut you just loosened. Looking at the old shock you will understand how the new bushing goes on.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM
mextexdodge
Rookie

Oh so is a shock, thanks! you see this is way I come here for help. So I can just slide off the shock and leave the spring where it is? Now that's sound easy to do

Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
BigSloth
Professional

Yep. The spring stays where it's at and the shock just sides out the bottom.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the truck on ramps. Leave the weight on the suspension, the ramps will allow enough room to slide the shock down and out. Remove the top nut first. You'll need a 9mm (probably) wrench (or the vise grips) to hold the post while you back the nut off. Then remove the bottom bolts. Make sure you change those rubber bushings. Reverse the procedure for re-installation.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM
beachbum53

Does it look like my 2WD 2005 RAM 1500 is pretty much the same? Can I just unbolt the shock and slide it out the bottom without removing the spring? Should the front end be aligned afterwards? Here's a pic. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails How to change/replace struts inside coil spring?-imag0200.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be the same, no alignment necessary if its already in alignment

Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM
beachbum53

Thanks. That's what I thought. Just thought I should check with the experts. Didn't really want to do it myself but Pepboys wanted $300+ to install. Getting some tires next week, may see what the tire guys would charge before I decide to get greasy.

Quick Reply: How to change/replace struts inside coil spring?