3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 battery dies when it wants to so confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 battery dies when it wants to so confused

Have been having issues with my truck battery being dead randomly when it wants.
I replaced the battery about a year ago cuz it would die everyday. But about 2 months ago it started happening again

I replaced the battery 2 months ago and it was fine now the past few weeks It will be dead when it wants.

I had some recon running lights and offeoad lights that were installed but I have unplugged them incase that's the problem.

I fully unplugged every aftermarket thing from the electrical system last night and parked it for about 15 hours and it started and I drove to work and 10 hours later, it was dead as a door nail. No lights would even come on.

Only thing I can think is altnator but why would it be dead after being parked for a short period of time

Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a draw on the battery. Chances are its the instrument cluster/radio fuse (Fuse 51). Take a multimeter and check what kind of amps you are drawing with the doors closed and all interior lights off. Chances are it's over 1 amp. Then start pulling fuses one at a time and rechecking your draw. I'd start with fuse 51.

Not sure if you've diagnosed parasitic draw before but this first video is a basic way to see if its happening. The second video is more in depth and shows a more precise version to check right at the fuse.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find out.

Quick Reply: 08 battery dies when it wants to so confused