3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lights turn after I stop the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:48 PM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights turn ON after I stop the car

I resently got a "funny" problem on my 2003 ram.
this happends:
I stop the car and turn off lighs.
remove the key.
leave the car and turn lock with the remote controller.

then after a while the car turn on hedlight's, fog light,park light and instrument light's.

have anyone had this problem, what in heven's name happends?
I did try to remove all fuses and relay's in the fuse box. the hedlight and fog light turned off but stil the instrument light are on.
sometimes the lights go off if I turn on and off light switch, but not always. I now have to disconect the battery when leaving the car.
I have mounted some led + resistors in my park lamps, but this long time ago. this can't be the problem!
the only thing I have done is removed the orginal cooling fan and mounted a el-fan. this I conected with relay, and temp switch. I did not use switched power to this, but I dont think that the fan running some time after I stoped engine, cause anything like this..

Last edited by ram-fjallasport; 03-22-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie

I did try to unplugg the light switch, but light still is on!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

As much as you want it to be the vehicle and nothing related to the electrical mods you have made, you can't rule anything out just because you did it a long time ago. Something is shorting. I would start by checking the connections on all your mods first. The vehicle does vibrate and wires can get rubbed over time. I have a fog light that has started to cut in and out randomly two different times now. Both times it was a wire that was getting rubbed until it was bare enough to short out. Easily fixed once located.

What you are reporting, i have never seen complained about here before, so it is not common.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie

after looking at posts with google I found the this failure can be caused by the front control module. according to this: http://www.*********.com/forums/show...=279493&page=2

so now I have a PCM from a 2002 with the same engine at the junk yard. so question is can I use this 2002 module on my 2003? same engine and trans. My 2003 with the 5.9 gas engine are a "left over" from gen 2 ram's anyway....or am I totaly wrong?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie

I now found out that lights turn off after about 10 minutes. I found that this is a "feature" built in the FCM, this sealed box is controlling the relays for fog and park lamps.
but This circuit must have a input from light switch, do anyone have the 'pin out' scematic on this?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Quick Reply: lights turn after I stop the car