3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram 4.7 Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Fosseman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram 4.7 Engine Knocking

Hello. Been reading these forums for a long while but first time posting. Most people here seem respectful and helpful so I figured I would ask you guys what you think. I was driving my Ram to the store down the road and everything was going good. On the way home I had to get on it a bit and when I did it started making a loud knock that sounded like a rattle at first and wasnt really going with the lope of the engine. Once I got home I went out and started it up and after giving it some gas it seems to be something bouncing around but not sure. It is loud and sounds like its coming from the bottom of the engine. The truck only has 80k miles on it so im pretty worried at the moment on what it could be. No engine lights are on and have never had any problems with rough idiling or stalling out. Thanks in advanced and sorry for the wall of text.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
DirtyDodge812
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its bouncing around when you get on it it could be a misfire when its under load. Possibly from bad spark plugs or a bad coil, but I would think that would throw a code. If youve never changed the spark plugs it wouldnt hurt to do it anyways. In my last car (2000 pontiac bonneville) I had plug wire short out and cause a misfire. It and it was acting like you described, I thought a motor mount went bad since the motor was moving around so much. After some new plug wires it was good as new, and I didnt get a check engine light until after driving it for a couple miles to limp it home. Im not sure that its your problem but it sounds like it could be related, good luck with it.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram 4.7 Engine Knocking