3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball joint issues

2002 Ram 1500 4.7

The time has finally come for dad to get the front end worked on. I've been bugging him for months, and it's finally squeeking really bad on the right side, so it's time for ball joints.

I was looking at them and it looks like the uppers are the ones that are torn up, but the lowers are fine. The 2003 FSM also makes no mention of replacing the lowers, only the uppers. So, is it advisable to replace the lowers too? Or just the uppers? The guy at the shop a while back said something about having to replace the knuckles to replace the lower ball joints and having looked at the service manual, I am worried that would be the case.

We are also kicking around the idea of replacing the shocks too. The truck is literally sitting 1/2 in off the bump stops up front. I am thinking a little stiffer shock would help since it IS still on the originals.

What would y'all suggest? I'm thinking Monroe Reflex, I've got some on my truck and they ride nice. This truck doesn't tow much more than 1500lbs when it does tow, so I don't think the Gas Magnums would be needed. Just any opinions.

BTW, the shop uses MOOG steering parts and Monroe shocks.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace uppers and lowers. shocks are only good for about 50-60k. look at tie rods and sway bar bushings as well.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, uppers and lowers it is.
The shocks have been bad for a while, just never got around to doing them. lol

Tie rod ends are fine as the rack is a newer rack. I did look at the sway bar end links, they look mostly fine. The driver's side has a weird angle to it, but I think that's because of the ball joint being messed up.

The camber on the truck is maxed out because of the ball joints, so me thinks that it will gain some ground clearance and fix the sway bar end links.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont need to replace the knuckle to do the lowers. Uppers are generally the first to go on these trucks, but for the sake of not having to tear it apart again its best to do uppers and lowers at the same time.

Shocks are indeed only good for 60k miles, however, they have no effect on ride height. A stiffer shock will do nothing for raising the height of the vehicle, it will only make the ride stiffer and take some of the roll and bounce out of the suspension. They should still be replaced if theyre old, but no ride height gains will be achieved. If its riding the bumpstops while unladen, then the springs are sagging.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Alright, uppers and lowers it is.
The shocks have been bad for a while, just never got around to doing them. lol

Tie rod ends are fine as the rack is a newer rack. I did look at the sway bar end links, they look mostly fine. The driver's side has a weird angle to it, but I think that's because of the ball joint being messed up.

The camber on the truck is maxed out because of the ball joints, so me thinks that it will gain some ground clearance and fix the sway bar end links.
Consider doing the outer tie rods with grease fitting. X2 the knuckle should not have to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Ball joint issues