3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013 | 01:35 PM
bowhunter697
|
Question need help please

what would cause the starter stay engaged on a 2002 dodge ram truck 2500 4x4 with 5.9litre v8 i have changed the starter it does it as soon as i turn the key to the run position it will stop when i turn the key off. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2013 | 02:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Hi and welcome to DF. I will move this to the approprtiate section so the experts can help you out.

Old 04-04-2013 | 04:21 PM
Izero
Champion

A bad starter relay will cause this.

Open the fuse panel under the hood and look for a big square that is labeled "Starter" or some short version of that, and replace it with a new relay.

The other thing that can cause this is if you mixed up or have the main power connector and starter solenoid touching somehow.

Other than that the only other thing that can be causing this is a faulty PCM or Programming.

Did you just put in a brand new starter or did you put in a "re-manufactured" starter?

Old 04-05-2013 | 09:26 AM
bowhunter697
|

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Hi and welcome to DF. I will move this to the approprtiate section so the experts can help you out.
Thank you I appreciate it

Old 04-05-2013 | 09:30 AM
bowhunter697
|

Originally Posted by Izero
A bad starter relay will cause this.

Open the fuse panel under the hood and look for a big square that is labeled "Starter" or some short version of that, and replace it with a new relay.

The other thing that can cause this is if you mixed up or have the main power connector and starter solenoid touching somehow.

Other than that the only other thing that can be causing this is a faulty PCM or Programming.

Did you just put in a brand new starter or did you put in a "re-manufactured" starter?
Yes I installed a new starter because the old one was doing the same thing I also already replaced the starter relay what about the ignition switch it starts turning the started as soon as I turn the key into the run position and doesn't stop till I switch it off and I do truly appreciate the help.

Old 04-05-2013 | 12:03 PM
Izero
Champion

It's possible that you have a short at the ignition switch.... you might have a C-Code present that will help us point you in the right direction.

Follow the link in my signature and check out how to pull the C-Codes and post them up here.

Just so I make sure I am understanding you correctly:

You mean that when you turn your key to the run position the starter solenoid engages and starts spinning? or does the solenoid engage and not spin until you turn to the "start" position.

If the first one is happening then you have a problem in the ignition cylinder or somewhere downstream.

I don't remember if those wires go through the clock spring but if they do you might have a broken clock spring.