3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel system wiring schematic

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013 | 01:59 PM
azBowHunter
|
Default Fuel system wiring schematic

Hey guys..... (and gals?)

I have an '05 ram 1500 2wd crew cab truck. This pick up has been giving me fits for the past year.

I had to change the fuel pump a year ago because the outlet tube was cracked. Then, about 6 months later, that pump burnt up and needed replaced.

So, every know and then the truck won't start. The fuel pump acts like there is no power going to it. I let it sit for a day or two and it will usually start right up. If not, then it starts in neutral.

I have NO IDEA what is going on, but I feel that the problem is in the steering column. The problem, is that I have no idea where each of the hundred or so wires in there go to.

I have been on the net looking for a wiring schematic to no avail. I even bought a Hayne's book, but the fuel system is not in there.

Can anyone lead me to a source for this, or maybe you have an idea of the malfunctioning culprit?

Oh, and a while back, the truck kept blowing the 20 amp fuse for the fuel pump..... then stopped. For the life of me I can not find the problem!!!!!

Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated. This truck is my daily driver and I earn zero money when it is acting up.

Old 04-04-2013 | 02:16 PM
Izero
Champion

you need to download the service manual.

Search for a user named Weedahoe on this site, his signature has links to where you can download the service manual.

Otherwise you can purchase the service manual from Dodge. (very expensive)

Can't promise that the diagram will show you EXACTLY where the wiring goes. as most of the time they are just wiring diagrams that show connection points only.

If you are looking for a nice pretty diagram of the truck in an exploded view to follow wiring I can promise you, that you will not find anything like that. You will have to get in there and manually follow the wiring.

Sounds like there is a short circuit in the fuel pump wiring, which is under the truck, you can follow the wiring right from the fuel tank area to see where it might be damaged and hitting the frame or another wire.

Old 04-04-2013 | 03:09 PM
azBowHunter
|

Thanks Izero.... I will look Weedahoe up.

Quick Reply: Fuel system wiring schematic