3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

troubleshooting, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default troubleshooting, need help

its been a long time since Ive posted. My 03 hemi has given me 35k trouble free miles since I bought it about 2 years ago. In fact, the only real problem is a CEL for "incorrect purge flow". I replaced the fuel cap with a new one and that didn't work. At first I just looked up the trouble code and it seemed vacuum related so that's when I tried the fuel cap. Then later on I hooked up my programmer and got a more detailed description (the incorrect purge flow). Anyway, I was wondering if I replaced this thingy (purge solenoid?) if that would fix it? It's been like that since I bought it and runs and performs beautifully, just getting annoyed with the CEL being on.

here is the part

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...model/ram-1500

Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of times when getting error codes for this area it could be as simple as a Brocken hose clamp to a small hole or crack in one of the lines. Get under it and check it all out really good and tighten clamps if possible. See what you find. Mine had broken plastic hose clamp, replaced with metal one, reset code, never re appeared.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 AM
cuda19791
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can check your purge solenoid with a vacuum pump. It is better to remove it first there are two hoses that go to the solenoid one vacuum and one from the evap canister. find the vacuum hose port on the solenoid and connect your vacuum pump. Now the solenoid is ether always open or always closed. If you can not draw a vacuum on that port then hook it up to your battery and it should close then you should be able to hold a vacuum on that port. Be careful when you hook up the solenoid be sure you tape what ever you put on the solenoid connecter pins so they not not touch and short out. I also found this at just answer.com that might help you out.

This code can be caused by a few things. It could be a lack of vacuum to the purge solenoid. Make sure the vacuum line from the left of the intake down to the purge solenoid is ok. Follow the line from the solenoid back to the canister area in front of the fuel tank. Make sure there are no cracked or missing hoses anywhere under there. A loose gas cap could also do it. Any major leak in the evap system.

If you don't find any leaks you most likely have a bad natural vacuum leak detector (nvld). This is by far the most common cause for this code. The nvld has a switch that is supposed to close when the purge solenoid opens and pulls 1" of vacuum on the system. It's found in these cases that the switch won't close until it hits closer to 5 or 6" of vacuum and by then it has set a P0440 or P0441. The nvld is mounted to the vapor canister, not a hard repair to make.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, I checked the hoses on and around the purge solenoid and they all seemed fine. No cracks, they were all tight. I will have to follow it up to the intake and look. Im also pretty sure it's not the gas cap because I replaced it, reset the code and it still came back. I guess if I don't find anything I'll try replacing the NVLD, and if that doesn't work I'll try the solenoid. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: troubleshooting, need help