3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CV axle install 1/8-inch away;100% stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013 | 07:46 PM
bohicarico
|
Default CV axle install 1/8-inch away;100% stumped!

I removed the RH CV axle in my 2004 to replace the hub-bearing assembly and steering knuckle. Those tasks are complete. My boggle now is that I cannot get the axle installed.

I used a foot-long spreader clamp to compress the axle. I placed one end of the spreader on the diff-case and the other end on the inboard side of the axle. Using this approach, I'm able to compress the axle to where the female end of the shaft is 1/8-inch away from slipping back on the male-spline shaft coming out of the differential.

I watched several videos. Each shows the process as a simple deal;
1. Slide axle in to hub
2. Wiggle female end over diff-shaft
Right!

I'm an 1/8-inch away from getting the axle installed. Seriously. What can I do to gain the necessary clearance? Can I tap the differential shaft a little bit to buy that clearance?

Attached Thumbnails CV axle install 1/8-inch away;100% stumped!-dodge-3rd-gen-forums-cv-install-post-forum-resize.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013 | 08:15 PM
big guy
Veteran

If you have not tried this already. Turn your steering wheel full left to gain some extra room. I assume you have the upper BJ disconnected? I have had my CV shafts out to many times to tell. Never really an issue to re install.

Old 04-23-2013 | 09:07 PM
dixieduo

When you slid the female side on that shaft did the CV click to lock on? The reason I ask is because I am facing similiar issues with my CVs on an 02 Ram. I had to almost tear it all the way down to the frame to get that little bit of clearance. But now for some reason the female side has slipped almost all the way off that shaft and made me limp home. I am wondering if I didnt push that all the way to the locking ring or whatever it is that keeps it on the shaft?

Old 04-24-2013 | 02:04 AM
cuda19791
Rookie

Originally Posted by bohicarico
I removed the RH CV axle in my 2004 to replace the hub-bearing assembly and steering knuckle. Those tasks are complete. My boggle now is that I cannot get the axle installed.

I used a foot-long spreader clamp to compress the axle. I placed one end of the spreader on the diff-case and the other end on the inboard side of the axle. Using this approach, I'm able to compress the axle to where the female end of the shaft is 1/8-inch away from slipping back on the male-spline shaft coming out of the differential.

I watched several videos. Each shows the process as a simple deal;
1. Slide axle in to hub
2. Wiggle female end over diff-shaft
Right!

I'm an 1/8-inch away from getting the axle installed. Seriously. What can I do to gain the necessary clearance? Can I tap the differential shaft a little bit to buy that clearance?
when you removed your axle shaft it looks like the inner shaft pulled out with it. you need to pull the inner shaft out and make sure the C shaped ring did not come off the shaft if it did you need to take the diff cover off and find it. if not you can put the shaft back in you will need to push it in until it locks. that should take care of your problem.

Old 04-24-2013 | 07:08 PM
bohicarico
|

Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the tie-rod end. So, locking the steering to the left is out. I didn't leave the upper-ball joint backed off. Suffice to say, I didn't think I had to. I'm going to give it a shot right now.

Old 04-25-2013 | 12:51 AM
bohicarico
|

I backed off the upper-ball joint, had to do lower too. That bought me another 1/16-inch clearance. Still that wasn't enough. I made the call to simply remove the upper-control arm. Doing that gave me ample room. The axle is now installed.
https://www.box.com/s/cbbp6w6duh6k1i01onwu

Quick Reply: CV axle install 1/8-inch away;100% stumped!