3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AP VX series cat back dual exit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default AP VX series cat back dual exit

Anyone install this kit and have fit comments? Failed safety on my 04 QC Hemi, the muffler rotted at the rear exit. The seller tells me the VX is the same as the flowmaster 40, and I've read that AP bought the patent for the design. Its all mandrel bent, aluminum-ized, and most importantly - affordable.

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

So I bought that system. Came with a muffler (3" in, 2.25 out x2) and two 2.25 tails... and a extension to connect the muffler to the mid pipe.

Problems:
1. The extension is just straight 3" pipe. The mid pipe is 2.75". I'll need to shrink the 3" pipe, or expand the 2.75 pipe ... or just weld it together.

2. The tails are built to not interfere with the spare tire. I cut off the old today and started mocking up the new... and found that the left tail is in contact with my rear axle brake rubber hose . I'm committed now unfortunately. I guess I need a longer brake hose that I could get routed in a different direction, anyone have a source? I imagine that a lift kit is going to cause people to change out that hose, so I'm guessing this is something I should be able to buy off the shelf.

Anyone solve this problem before?

I'll post a couple pics later.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Default wow, nobody cares about AP exhaust ?!

With a little customization and welding, the system went on and looks good. I think someone had the muffler before I did and expanded the output pipes... After I couldn't get the clamps to seal the joint, I just welded the tails to the muffler to get it sealed up. I bought a mid pipe, joined that 2.75 to the 3 inch stock I had by expanding that 2.75 out enough to make good contact - then welded a bead around the sucker.

Costs... $165 bought the muffler, two mandrel bent tails and 3 inch stock, clamps and a couple tail hangers. $25 bought a new mid pipe from NAPA.

Sounds decent, the pipes/muffler are aluminized... I've found I get some decent time out of those, regular steel doesn't last very long... and stainless blows my budget I won't need to replace those again.

I finally got my spare back under the bed again (another thread) and everything fits. $9 bought me a new rear axle brake hose, haven't installed that yet (bumper fun, another thread).

I have a set of stainless AP exhaust tips in the mail, should have them this week... pics later.

Quick Reply: AP VX series cat back dual exit