3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time for new Y-pipe. Can I install myself?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 AM
msorbara10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new Y-pipe. Can I install myself?

Well I am putting new headers on tomorrow and I figure a y-pipe would be a good addition to that as well. Will crappy manifolds rotting out and a flowmaster muffler that dosent flow much better then stock, I think header and a new Y pipe will wake my truck up a little.

Anyway I would like to do this myself or at least do what I can and then have a shop weld it up for me.

I am assuming I cut the y pipe as far from the cats as possible where I will be cutting the part where the pipes are stamped together and where they will line up with the 2 inlets in the y pipe.

Does the y pipe have to be welded face to face with the pipes or does it slide into or over the pipes? Reason I ask is because I would like to install it myself and save a little money and have a shop weld it up for me rather than paying them to install it completely.

Any tips to let me do all the cutting and have the y pipe installed temporarily until I get it to a shop to get it welded up?

On my 2500 the exhaust is a little different than the 1500's. The cats are close tho the y pipe. Well at least one of them is. I will try and put ups pics of it tomorrow to give a better idea

Last edited by msorbara10; 06-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your doing headers why not instead of putting in a y pipe get a magnaflow dual in dual out with a built in x

Quick Reply: Time for new Y-pipe. Can I install myself?