3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 cummins wont start, security light / remote start problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 PM
niles6748
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 cummins wont start, security light / remote start problems

I have an 06 cummins mega cab. The security light is flashing, truck won't start. The truck has been doing this on & off for a while now. When the security light would flash, I would use my remote starter to start the truck. I thought that the remote starter was causing my truck to do this, so today we removed the remote starter. We started it a few times, truck ran good, we thought that it was fixed. I went to move the truck and now it won't start. the security light is flashing, and I no longer have the remote starter. Can anybody help with this????????? What is it, what is causing it, what I can do about it, what do I need to do to fix it??????? Is it possible to bypass this junky security system??

Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2006 Truck has an ignition immobilizer, so to have an aftermarket R/S system you need to install an Ignition Immobilizer Bypass, which basically simulates your key FOB's ID # that disables the anti-theft system.

Here is the proper procedure to do a Hard Reset of the PCM:

Leave the battery connected.
Remove the PCM/SKIM fuse. Its different for different years.
Buckle driver seat belt. (to stop other chimes)
Put in key and turn it to START (it won't) and hold it until you hear 2 chimes.
Replace the fuse

If your key has lost it's programming (happens sometimes especially if you put it near a strong magnet) resetting the PCM won't do much for you, because your truck will still look for the Key FOB's code when trying to start the truck. So try it with your original back-up key (if you have one), if you don't have one, go get your key reprogrammed by the Dodge Dealer.

I need more info on which model R/S system you had installed, and if you did install the ignition immobilizer bypass, I will need to know what model that was as well.

Also, what did you do to "uninstall" it? Are there bare wires just hanging out down there, or did you reconnect all of the OEM Wiring?

Hope that helps, and Welcome to Dodge Forum!

Quick Reply: 06 cummins wont start, security light / remote start problems