3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

seized bolts..need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
jisaac1341
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seized bolts..need help

My lower control arm cam bolts are seized like hell! I've tried so many things, I need some advice on how to make it somewhat easier to remove them short of using a torch because I don't have access to one.

I have a 07 Ram 1500 slt 4x4

Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to the auto parts store and purchase a bottle of ATF+4 Transmission Fluid (Cheapest brand will do)

Go to a beauty supply store (like CVS, Walmart, etc.) and purchase a bottle of acetone.

Get some rubber gloves & safety goggles (vinyl/latex/etc).

Stop in at a hardware store and see if you can find yourself one of those oil dropper cans, you know the ones like the "tin man" used or practically every good cartoon had in it.. lol

anyways you are going to want to mix equal parts of the acetone and ATF 4 and slather the crap out of every single side of that bolt/nut you can... let is sit for a little bit, and it should help to loosen whatever is stuck on there.

Note: Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection, and I am not responsible if you hurt yourself, you do this at your own risk.

Also remember to keep putting the ATF4 & acetone mix on there so you keep that bolt "cool" b/c once the friction heats those suckers up they can shear on you very easily. (ask me how I know)

The ATF 4 and Acetone works better than liquid wrench and I made a post on here with the article to prove it, so good luck with that bolt!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Busdriver9
Professional

I sprayed mine down with PB Blaster for a couple days....also used a cheater bar to break them loose! other than that....I got nothing but a torch!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Cheater bar or pipe FTW

Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this first----really, better than any rust buster in a can!!
Originally Posted by Izero
Go to the auto parts store and purchase a bottle of ATF+4 Transmission Fluid (Cheapest brand will do)

Go to a beauty supply store (like CVS, Walmart, etc.) and purchase a bottle of acetone.

Get some rubber gloves & safety goggles (vinyl/latex/etc).

Stop in at a hardware store and see if you can find yourself one of those oil dropper cans, you know the ones like the "tin man" used or practically every good cartoon had in it.. lol

anyways you are going to want to mix equal parts of the acetone and ATF 4 and slather the crap out of every single side of that bolt/nut you can... let is sit for a little bit, and it should help to loosen whatever is stuck on there.

Note: Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection, and I am not responsible if you hurt yourself, you do this at your own risk.

Also remember to keep putting the ATF4 & acetone mix on there so you keep that bolt "cool" b/c once the friction heats those suckers up they can shear on you very easily. (ask me how I know)

The ATF 4 and Acetone works better than liquid wrench and I made a post on here with the article to prove it, so good luck with that bolt!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM
guitman32
Rookie

^true story there is an article about a test done somewhere the acetone+atf destroyed the next best PB blaster by a significant margin (which I use never have any probs)

6pt socket and breaker has never let me down

Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Zoomin0074
Amateur

I just did this so that the shop could do an alignment.. Soaked in PB Blaster for 3 days spraying everyday.. After they still did not budge I used a blunt air chisel, impact and breaker bar with pipe.. Each one moved a little bit and just kept going at them until they spun correctly.. If you cant get them to budge get a angle grinder or sawzall and go to town.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 AM
jisaac1341

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely gonna have to try that ATF-4 and acetone. But I might try it on my other control arm.
I bought a 6 amp reciprocating saw with 14tpi blades and just spent about an hour and cut through the bushings and cut the bolt and slid the control arm out. what's funny is even after that the part of the cam bolt left in the control arm, I couldn't get out not even with an air hammer.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need a 10 ton press to get that out of there now....

LCAs have a nasty habit of seizing up on damn near every vehicle in the world, sucks but it's the truth.

Most shops just cut everything off and replace it all with new parts... sad but true.

Quick Reply: seized bolts..need help