3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
rocks295
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems

I'm not sure if I would get more help here or in the 2nd gen section but I have a 2002 1500 with a 5.9 magnum. A couple weeks ago my engine started making a noise. The noise seemed to be coming from the front of the engine. Two of my mechanic friends both said it is most likely the timing chain. Last friday I got home from school and went inside to change. My friend was still in my truck with the engine off and the radio on. It killed my battery and then when I tried to jump start it, it took a lot to get it runnning. Once it did start running it seemed a little rough and died as soon as hit the gas. I could start it up again bit it idled rough. I figured the timing chain skipped while I was jump starting it. I opened up the engine only to find a worn timing chain but the timing marks on the gears still lined up. So my question is a very loose timing chain able to throw the engine out of time that bad or is there another problem here. And help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:
Replace your timing set any way and follow correct procedure, replace your plenum too.

Also, these engines rarely jump time if they are at least partly cared for. The problem you describe is that of an IAC that had been reset. With these trucks, if the battery dies and stays dead for too long, the PCM clears out most of its readings, including that for the IAC. So I would wager a guess and say that the PCM just needs time to re-learn everything.
I personally, would ride it out to see if it clears up before I start freaking out. lol And I'm OCD too.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am betting that you have a batter battery cell too... replace the battery as the first attempt, but yes the PCM will need to "re-learn" everything... it's a real pain in the @$$...

Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
rocks295
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I already have a new timing set and a few other parts that I'm replacing while I hace the engine apart. I also ordered the hughes garage plenum repair so ill put that on this week. Izero you're probably right since the battery is pretty old. I'm going to go with what you guys are saying and put everything back together with the new parts and go from there. I'm hoping things will be fine..but I am enjoying the 30mpg my civic gets haha

Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

always start with the first thing that went wrong... in your case... the Battery...

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, he DOES need to replace his plenum. lol He just did everything in the wrong order.

And you could have saved some cash by buying the eBay plenum pan. $54.99 + shipping...made by a member of the forum, actually.

Quick Reply: Engine problems