3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration after pinion seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM
trudinator
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after pinion seal replacement

Hi all...my first post in the Ram section. We have an '06 Ram CTD, 4x4 with approx. 79,000 miles. Diff. was leaking like a sieve, so my DH replaced the pinion seal. Now we're experiencing vibration in the rear end upon acceleration. We tow a '32 travel trailer, so we really want to get this fixed so it doesn't blow up on us under load. Can you give us some pointers on what to look for, proper torque specifications, etc.? He has already replaced the crush sleeve, I believe it is, for the 2nd time. Still has vibration.

Also replaced ball joints on the drivers side and he's going to work on the passenger side soon. It was a nightmare. Wouldn't come off at all. He finally had to remove it by breaking apart the hub, which cost us more money!! had a nasty habit of following every nuance in the road. Hopefully that will get taken care of with new ball joints on the passenger side and an alignment.

We really do like this truck, but it seems to be giving us a few headaches lately.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
BigSloth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the vibe after the pinion seal could be several things. First off, it could be improperly torqued pinion nut.

What it most likely is, the driveshaft is misaligned on the yoke.You need to make markings on the yoke to re align the shaft when re installing. If not, it could cause vibes.

Quick Reply: Vibration after pinion seal replacement