3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 CTD 6spd trans and diff. fluid change, a/c question, & axle bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 01:38 PM
jamais.arriere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 CTD 6spd trans and diff. fluid change, a/c question, & axle bearing replacement

New member here, GREAT SITE! tons of good information. My question is related to the fluid change in my 6 speed manual trans as well as the differentials. The owners manual recommends fluid change at 125k miles. When I was last at the dealer a mechanic told me the fluid could go long past the recommended change cycle. I think I'm going to change it any way. My questions: What fluid should I use? Is there any tricks I might want to know before I do it? Any other maintenance I should look to doing(aside from obvious things like filters, belts, hoses, inspection, etc.)

Part 2. Driver's wheel is making noise when turning right or left. The U joint is easily visible and looks fine, there's also no greasable fitting on it(thanks Dodge, ugh). I haven't taken one of these apart since I was in my 20's(I'm 40 now) playing with late 70's 4 wheel drives. Could this be an axle bearing? would the U joint make noise even though it's visibly undamaged(others I've worked on looked trashed so it was easy to tell they were bad) Any tricks to the disassembly and inspection of the axle? hub? etc etc? any specialized tools I'm going to need?

Any info is greatly appreciated, THANKS GUYS!!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid replacement you can sometimes go by what your gut says. However, if in doubt, change that fluid out. (Imma poet and didn't even know it ) You're likely going to want synthetic fluids, synthetic lasts longer and can even eek out a bit more mpg. If you have a limited slip rear end you're going to need LSD friction modifier.

As for your axle noise, I'd be looking at the drivers side u-joint or hub. U-joints go bad without you knowing most of the time.

And welcome to DF!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum!!

My first recommendation would be to get the FSM (factory service manual) for your truck in order to take care of it right, and, to understand how to approach each repair prior to turning the first wrench. I suspect a few designs have changed over the years, such as hardened plastic to retain the u-joint end caps on the front driveline.
NO c-clips. The front wheel bearings are now hubs, and the axle seals reside on each side of the gear set, not at the end of the axle tubes. You get the idea

Quick Reply: 06 CTD 6spd trans and diff. fluid change, a/c question, & axle bearing replacement