3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM
CStrife99x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clicking noise

For a while now, my front end been making "clicking" or "snapping" noises. I brought it to a few shops and no one knows what it is? One guy said the brake hardware or something( bushings and clamps) so my dad and i changed that. The noise stopped for about a day and its been there since. Its way worse now, annoying and embarrassing.

Ive been reading for a few weeks on it and got somewhat a few ideas.

1)wheel bearings (checked, no shaking)
2)tie rods
3)lower ball joints

( 2 & 3 im changing inner and outer tie rods, and ball joints, because they are wayyyy past due and loose)

Im no mechanic or anything so i dont know what to be looking for, and help appreciated.

Also its an 05 1500 2wd

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CStrife99x
For a while now, my front end been making "clicking" or "snapping" noises. I brought it to a few shops and no one knows what it is? One guy said the brake hardware or something( bushings and clamps) so my dad and i changed that. The noise stopped for about a day and its been there since. Its way worse now, annoying and embarrassing.

2)tie rods
3)lower ball joints

( 2 & 3 im changing inner and outer tie rods, and ball joints, because they are wayyyy past due and loose)

Im no mechanic or anything so i dont know what to be looking for, and help appreciated.

Also its an 05 1500 2wd

Have an 06 1500 with 110,000 miles and just replaced the drivers side wheel bearing. I had no shaking either but it was making a slight grinding sound as I turned to the right. Might be worth another look see

Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 AM
itsUhHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by CStrife99x

2)tie rods
3)lower ball joints

Also its an 05 1500 2wd
It is your hub assembly. Just had to replace mine last week. You can't replace only the front bearings you are gonna have to get the whole assembly. Unless you take it to someone who really knows what they are doing and can get the hub apart. The reason why it stopped for a day or so is because there may be a small amount of grease left in the hub that is still lubricating the bearings. Moral of the story is that you need to either A: Go buy a new hub and replace it (super easy to do I could even make a video for you) or B: Take it to a mechanic who can heat up your old hub, get it apart, and replace the bearings that way. Hope this helps and let me know if you want a tutorial on how to replace the hub.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Dodge-Red
Amateur

Mine does the exact same thing at the moment. It is pretty embarrassing, it sounds like a bike with a card in the spokes when I turn. I don't know how many miles you have on your truck, but I have nearly the same amount as "Old man with a hemi." Let us know what it turns out to be, my tie rods are leaking a little grease, so I was thinking that might be a possibility as well.

Last edited by Dodge-Red; 07-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

It's probably the front u-joints, just replaced mine today completely dried out and the needle bearings were gone! Also replaced the hubs and upper and lower ball joints, no more clickity clak.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 PM
frankiedon53

A noise like that could also be the power-steering needs bleeding.I drive a dodge ram van and I find that the steering radius is very short and then the hand book say not to let the steerig hit the stops.With such a short radius how can one prevent it in a tight car park? So frequently I get this tat-tat-tat-tat when turning.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 PM
frankiedon53

Something else I would like to share about my 2001 dodge ram is: It has a lot of noises in the suspension that I never to this day figured out. there's a metalic sound that comes from the steering for years even though I replaced all the ball joints and tie-rod ends. It could be the coil spring I suppose.That was never replaced: If it is compressed too small it may be loose in the upper and lower arms or it could be some how slipping on the shoulder where it sits.Another thing with my van is I never got around to replacing the upper arm bushings because readjusting the camber toe-in and such had to be done at the dealer garage. I also learned a little too late that jacking the van with a single jack in the center of cross-member front or under the differential is not wise.I also learned that from the repair manual or the hand-book...I can only suppose that it somehow stresses the whole chassis.It's not explained why.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional

U-Joints will make a squealing noise not "clacking" noise.

Quick Reply: Front end clicking noise