3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 ram cummins shut off, flashing check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 AM
djseymour93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ram cummins shut off, flashing check engine light

I just bought an '06 cummins about two months ago. Just the other day my truck shut off on me driving down the road as if I turned the key off. It won't start. The lift pump and cp3 are making clicking noises instead of engaging for 3 or 4 seconds like it normally does. I had someone flash the TIPM and showed a TIPM code on the scanner. The truck ran great for about three hours and died on me again. Is this common on bad TIPMs or does it sound like a wiring/short or ground issue? Any input would be helpful and I don't wanna fork out $900 for something that I don't need to buy. I'm 19 and it's my first diesel so everything is fairly new to me

Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Let's start with the TIPM code? What was it?

Any check engine lights for DTC codes?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We will need the TIPM code and any other DTCs you can provide.

Hard to tell what it could possibly be though... usually a Flashing Check Engine Light means there is a VERY SERIOUS problem going on.

The following users liked this post:
trigger29 (09-06-2020)
Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM
djseymour93

Originally Posted by Izero
We will need the TIPM code and any other DTCs you can provide.

Hard to tell what it could possibly be though... usually a Flashing Check Engine Light means there is a VERY SERIOUS problem going on.
The guy never told me what code, he just said I was bad. The truck will turn over but not start. I cleaned all the battery terminals and the grounds and power wires that lea to them and it started running. I don't know if it fixed the problem or if it just reset the codes from the batteries being disconnected. All of the other electronics work fine in it except the lift pump and cp3 make a clicking sound in sync with the light flashing

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Izero
Champion

get the diagnostic trouble code(s) and we'll be able to help you more.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:13 PM
mkruger21

I have a similar situation going on, check engine lite flashing in concert with the lift pump cycling with the key on, engine not running. My truck is showing a code of P0088. Any ideas?
BTW- 2006 2500 Cummins Ram. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 PM
mkruger21

More information: the truck won't start, and my bully dog reader hangs trying to read codes. The P0088 code came from the odometer. In addition to the lift pump cycling, the solenoid on the CP3 is cycling as well.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by mkruger21
More information: the truck won't start, and my bully dog reader hangs trying to read codes. The P0088 code came from the odometer. In addition to the lift pump cycling, the solenoid on the CP3 is cycling as well.
Nice Thread Hijack there, lol

This is a very common thing to happen for Diesels.

Here are the most common causes:

1) Bad Fuel Pressure Sensor
2) Bad Camshaft Position Sensor
3) Fuel Filter Clogged/Failed
4) Contaminated Fuel (Will have to drain and clean out entire fuel tank)
a) Also might need a complete fuel system replacement if there is Algae in there. (Yes it is possible)

Those are the most common.

We're just waiting for a reply from the OP and hopefully we can help him/her some more.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 AM
mkruger21

Will run the list--couldn't resist hijacking because the story sounds identical. But I am interested in what the OP finds as well.

I believe I have had algae a couple of years ago, used algaecide until slime quit showing up in the filter. Just now, I had fuel tank off to replace lift pump with a FASS unit and inspected tank, if there was algae in there I couldn't find it. Truck had gotten to the point where it was fuel starved with less than half a tank in it, which prompted the lift pump replacement. Check engine light problem started when I was getting ready to start truck. Weird thing was, when I had the key on the day before to lubricate the new pump, everything was OK with the check engine light. In any case, I have not ruled out the problem with fuel system issues as that has been the recurring problem up to this point.

In your experience, are you saying that if I had an algae problem, then my problems could extend past the filter?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Izero
Champion

yes definitely.

Algae "grows" so it is very possible it got beyond the filter and clogged up something else like injectors and/or fuel rail...

They suggest that you replace the entire fuel system in order to completely get rid of the Algae.

Test the fuel pressure at each rail, also see if you can get a reading from the computer compared to an actual gauge reading for fuel pressure, that will rule out the fuel pressure sensor.

Most decent scan tools allow you to read real-time data from the PCM.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 06 ram cummins shut off, flashing check engine light