3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why wont my tranny find gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 PM
msorbara10
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wont my tranny find gears?

Well I have had this problem for a while, actually ever since I bought the truck back in january. When I am on the highway and am going say around 40 or 50 and I want to get it up to 65 or 70mph, it takes forever for me to get there. I have to put the pedal down all the way and eventually it will kick into overdrive and eventually get me there, or just slowly creep up the the speed I want all of a sudden. I just want it the go faster when I hit the gas..

What is different though is if I am at a stop or just going a few miles an hour and hit the gas it shifts fine and I can get to 65 no problem. but then from there is I slow down, again it take a while to accelerate again and sometimes feel I have no throttle response for a few seconds.

I tried resetting the computer to see if that would help but it didnt.

Has anyone had this problem before? Would something like a tranny line pressure wire help?

I am saving for a hemi fever tune for hopefully the end of the summer. Will this help me with my shift points and or help me get rid of this problem?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't kick into overdrive, it drops into second prime, which is the passing gear. How's the fluid? What size tires? Since it's a 2500, it likely has the 3.73 gears.

No, the transmission line pressure wire (a la Sonnax) won't help. It's for WOT situations.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 PM
msorbara10
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
It doesn't kick into overdrive, it drops into second prime, which is the passing gear. How's the fluid? What size tires? Since it's a 2500, it likely has the 3.73 gears.

No, the transmission line pressure wire (a la Sonnax) won't help. It's for WOT situations.
Stock size tires, fluid levels are in check, and yes I do have 3.73 gears. Never heard of second prime. Good to know..

One of my near future mods is going to be a new torque converter and also a deeper oil pan. Think this could help a little?

Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Might be time for plugs and a PCV valve clean/replace. A dose of Sea Foam won't hurt it. How old is the fluid?

In a back-handed way the new T/C may help, since it'll need new fluid anyway. Deeper pan will only make the tranny run cooler. Second prime is the gear you get when you boot it at speed. The tranny drops to the 1.5:1 gear rather than the 1.67:1 it used on the way up.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 PM
msorbara10
Rookie

Might be time for plugs and a PCV valve clean/replace. A dose of Sea Foam won't hurt it. How old is the fluid?

In a back-handed way the new T/C may help, since it'll need new fluid anyway. Deeper pan will only make the tranny run cooler. Second prime is the gear you get when you boot it at speed. The tranny drops to the 1.5:1 gear rather than the 1.67:1 it used on the way up.

Plugs are only a 3k old. Just replaced them a couple months ago. I will have to look into the PCV valve cleaning. I am not familiar with that. Got any places where I can get some info for that?

And did you mean the seafoam for the tranny or the engine? I will be doing then engine in another 2k miles when i do my oil change. The old fluid is at right level and dosent smell burnt. It may still be the original oil so I want to change that soon anyway

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

What plugs did you use? Sea Foam in the motor - just follow the instructions. The PCV is on the passenger side of the motor, slightly aft of the throttle body. Looks like a small gas cap. Clean it and the throttle body with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, NOT TB or carb cleaner.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
msorbara10
Rookie

What plugs did you use? Sea Foam in the motor - just follow the instructions. The PCV is on the passenger side of the motor, slightly aft of the throttle body. Looks like a small gas cap. Clean it and the throttle body with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, NOT TB or carb cleaner.
I used regular champion copper plugs. I always clean my TB

I replaced the PCV valved just a few hours ago. Already my throttle response is a lot better, the pedal is easy to push down.. I will test it tomorrow on my way to work to see how much better it preforms.

Got mopar PCV valve at the dealer for $40. Its really the only place around me I can get it. The old one had some sludge built up on it and although it still rattled i can tell it was time for a new one. I feel this gets over looked a lot

Quick Reply: Why wont my tranny find gears?