3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warped header, drop in solutions for 4.7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Warped header, drop in solutions for 4.7?

I have a good hook in the back of my drivers side exhaust header, the rear port is about 1/16th out of line with the rest of them.

Could I have this sucker milled down flat and put it back in? I can't bolt it down as it is, I actually stripped a hole in the head trying.

If not, what are my options for direct replacement? I am not prepared to change any exhaust pieces other than the headers and gaskets.

Thank you, Steve

PS. I've had an exhaust leak for about 1 year. The bottom rear stud on the drivers side actually fell out and I suppose that's the cause of the warpage. Truck has 215,000 km on it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a machine shop that was able to grind the thing flat for 30 bucks. The gasket pair was about 20 bucks. Fasteners was a total mystery...you could go with 16 of the cheaper bolts but Dodge sold me 2 different types of studs and also bolts. Check ahead and go with the bolts if you don't have anything attached to the studs.

The Helicoil kit was another 45 so don't be an optimist and think the header will flex back into shape like I did. :P

All in all, it was a total hassle with over 200 km driven plus down time, the shame of having a partly torn down truck in the driveway for a long time, etc.

Steve

Quick Reply: Warped header, drop in solutions for 4.7?