3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance since new spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM
PRF66
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance since new spark plugs

I let the dealer do some P/M work on my Hemi 2007 Ram Quad 1500. Now, they changed the spark plugs and tranny fluid, filter, and transfer case fluids, nice differential covers. THE PROBLEM, I am experiencing a loss of power when accelerating like the gas pedal pressed and the engine doesnt respond with the zip it once had........like a flat spot. I mean if I tromp on it the truck flies. What gives? Injectors? How can I spot what is causing this performance loss?
PROBLEM 2 the highway gas mileage is down to 13.66 mpg. Never been this low. How can I tell if the MDS is working? Any help directions to where/ what to read or do would help. Thank you . Mike

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PRF66
I let the dealer do some P/M work on my Hemi 2007 Ram Quad 1500. Now, they changed the spark plugs and tranny fluid, filter, and transfer case fluids, nice differential covers. THE PROBLEM, I am experiencing a loss of power when accelerating like the gas pedal pressed and the engine doesnt respond with the zip it once had........like a flat spot. I mean if I tromp on it the truck flies. What gives? Injectors? How can I spot what is causing this performance loss?
PROBLEM 2 the highway gas mileage is down to 13.66 mpg. Never been this low. How can I tell if the MDS is working? Any help directions to where/ what to read or do would help. Thank you . Mike
Reset your PCM and see if that helps your mileage. Other things like fuel quality, letting sit and idle with AC running, bad air filter, low tire pressure, ect all affect mpg

As for a flat spot, first thing that comes to my mind are the filters in the trans and the o-ring seal on the flat filter which sometimes causes an issue

Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 AM
PRF66
Rookie

Color me slow.........."the flat filter" You mean the air intake filter? Those clips holding the cover? Or..........The trans has a flat filter? Thank you. Appreciate your commitment to the boards. Regards< Mike

Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There are two filters in the trans. One is exactly like the spin on oil filter your engine uses

The other is a flat pancake style filter with maybe a 1" pipe or hollow plastic tube. The filter itself is bolted in place but the tube part slips though a seal.

Do a search here on the site or check our FAQs to see how to change transmission oil for pics

Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

If you just had this done I would take it back. Even though its PM, there is still a warranty.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it right back to the dealer and tell them something isn't right.

They should definitely make it right for you ASAP.

Quick Reply: Performance since new spark plugs