3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

are the Superchips really woth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 PM
paintr2005
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are the Superchips really woth it?

I have a 2002 5.9 Ram, I was thinking about the superchip 3175, does anyone have this for thier truck, and can you REALLY feel a difference? Any saving in the wallet as well with the gas? I really doubt that part, but I could really use some advice. I would LOVE to get a new 05-06 Hemi, but its not looking like I can pull it off. Thanks for the input!

Old 10-02-2005, 11:49 AM
aviator
Default RE: are the Superchips really woth it?

I have the same truck and I did notice a slight increase in fuel economy. I haven't tried the power settings because I think my truck already has enough power and don't see the sense in wasting expensive fuel. The major reason I got it was to be able to adjust my speedo for tire size changes.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:27 PM
paintr2005
Rookie

hey, thanks for the input! Anyway, yeah, I changed my tires and rims as well, went from the 17 to 20's, but I don't think I noticed any change in the speedo I went by one of those cop speed signs (a few times) and noticed my speedo seemed to be the same. but it might be off just a bit I guess, so that might just be another reason to get one. But I would still really like to know if anyone has noticed an increas in power/acceleration from 0-60. Last but not least, is it wise to buy one off ebay? I can't spend $400+ bucks on this thing, but I will spend $250 or so...

Old 10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
aviator

Like I said before I can't comment on the power increase, but I've been told that you will see better acceleration. If you just changed rim sizes your speedo won't be affected. I went from 31" stock tires to 35" and my speedo was off 7mph.

As for buying on off ebay, I don't see why it wouldn't work out. I would just make sure you can get a refund if the thing is not working. Another option is if you can find someone who has one and give them $25 or so to do it for you.

*****HOWEVER, a word of caution- if you need to take the truck into the dealer and they change/upgrage your ECU, you may be screwed. You are supposed to take the program off before you go into the dealer, just in case.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:03 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Don't short change the 5.9! It has the potential for some serious power. I'd email Superchips or what ever programmer you want to use and get the actual dyno results.

Quick Reply: are the Superchips really woth it?