3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM
slimvela
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question...

Should the compressor cycle on and off during operation? Or should it always be on? When the a/c is on, the compressor never cycles, it is always on.

My system seems to be working okay, but was definitely cooler prior to evac/recharge due to a blown o-ring. The tech just filled to capacity, with disregard to efficiency, i.e. fill & go without checking temperature/pressure correlation in regards to environment.

Those in the know will understand the question. Does this vehicle have a variable type compressor?

From what I've found these readings all seem to be within spec. To bad i didn't grab them prior to the o-ring letting go. That was probably the coldest it's ever been.

Details:
2002 1500, 1st production run, 4.7L
Max A/C, Recirc, Probe at Left-Center vent, Ambient probe in cup holder

No moisture dripping from evap drain tube, however it did this prior to the evac/recharge.

Ambient Air Temp: 98
Relative Humidity: 23%
R-134 static pressure: 110

@ Idle;
Low: 45
High: 185
Vent Temp: 54
Cabin Ambient Temp: 80

@ 1500RPM;
Low: 25
High: 250
Vent Temp: 50
Cabin Ambient Temp: 75

Old 08-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like he didn't fill it with enough R-134a.... take it back to him and have him follow proper procedure and fill to pressure... if he can't or doesn't know how to do that then take it somewhere else that does.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
slimvela
Professional

Originally Posted by Izero
Sounds like he didn't fill it with enough R-134a.... take it back to him and have him follow proper procedure and fill to pressure... if he can't or doesn't know how to do that then take it somewhere else that does.
wouldn't the low side reading be much lower if it was low on refrigerant?

and does anyone have a copy of the official spec chart from a service manual I could reference?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The compressor will cycle depending on what temp you have on the dial. If it cycles quickly, there's a problem.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the spec is located right on the truck. It specs out the 134a charge as a weight to weigh in to the system. The best way to diagnose the operation is to ensure the near exact charge has been weighed into the system. Unfortunately, the mechanic just "topped it off". There is also a temp sensor rtd located on the evap that keeps it from freezing up. Generally speaking, as indicated above, it sounds like you may be an ounce or two low-----but to get it right-----you gotta pull it all out into a deep vacuum, then weigh it in.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
slimvela
Professional

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Actually the spec is located right on the truck. It specs out the 134a charge as a weight to weigh in to the system. The best way to diagnose the operation is to ensure the near exact charge has been weighed into the system. Unfortunately, the mechanic just "topped it off". There is also a temp sensor rtd located on the evap that keeps it from freezing up. Generally speaking, as indicated above, it sounds like you may be an ounce or two low-----but to get it right-----you gotta pull it all out into a deep vacuum, then weigh it in.
Sticker is gone, but I've got that info. Tech filled to that capacity from I was told. I hope...but as I no longer turn wrenches for a living and have no access to a quality facility...

What I'm looking for is Dodge specs for pressure/temp relation I.e. low =x high=x should see xx• @ given ambient temp...it's what is used to test performance per manuf specs. It also gives instructions on temp/vent/fan settings.

It's should coincide with the 2.42/2.4xambient = Min/max discharge, and suction values should be xx~xx.

Thems the bits of info I seek.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

download the service manual from Weedahoe's signature... post up what you find out so it might help someone else one day.

Quick Reply: A/C Question...