3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC clutch Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 04:39 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

If the compressor itself is still good, replace the clutch assembly without removing the compressor lines, else it will be expensive when you have to recharge.

I did this on my Dakota years ago, swapping in a clutch assembly I got from a junkyard, after the idler bearings started squealing. I spent a little time walking around the JY spinning compressor pulleys till I found a nice smooth one. The only tools I remember using was a 3 or 2 jaw puller (harbor freight), snap ring pliers and two large flat head screwdrivers. The screwdrivers were used to lever off the clutch assembly in the JY. I think I jammed something into the pulley to stop it from spinning, so I could unbolt it. I didn't use/create any special tools for that. I don't have a press or any special equipment and it was still an easy job. I don't recall anything about air gap and didn't use any shims. I got the bearing onto the compressor by using a socket that matched the bearing's inner race and tapping it on with a mallet. I'm sure there are things I'm not remembering, but I was able to get it done in the driveway. There was beer involved. LOL

These videos were most helpful to me at the time. Hope they give you clarity.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-08-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: AC clutch Problem!