3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Dodge Ram Key Broke in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM
aleeyahargrove
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Ram Key Broke in Ignition

Of course it's a transponder key and as fate would have it, it's the only key I have. The dealership only gave me the one for the ignition and two for the doors. So, what are my options? I don't have two other transponder keys to program a new one. Can I change out the ignition?

Thanks
Aleeya

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF.

Even if you change out the ignition, you'll still have to program two new keys. The transponder has as much to do with the car's computer as it does the ignition.

I'd have it towed to a dealership and get two new keys programmed. Its not cheap, but that is your best/easiest/probably cheapest option in my opinion. (Programming both of those keys will run you probably around $300-$400, depending on the dealership and exact key type.)

For future reference here on the forum:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Moving your thread to the correct spot now.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with above. How the hell do you break a key off? That is the first I've heard, except for a residential door!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
aleeyahargrove
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Ram Key Broke in Ignition

Thanks everyone for your input.

As for how it broke off in the ignition...I guess I have a stronger grip than I realize.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keys are softer than the locks the insert into, so if you have a stress crack in your key from everyday use, or putting it in your pocket turning the car on/off can easily snap the key if it's already cracked.

You will 100% need to go to the dealership to get that taken care of if you cannot remove the broken key out of the lock cylinder, and you will also need them to re-program new keys for you.

It's going to hurt your wallet but that's really the only way.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Ram Key Broke in Ignition