3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Cooling Fan Never Shuts Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM
spuldup
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock fan uses a temperature sensitive fluid to control the relative speed. It is possible it could be stuck on high speed which causes the roaring. Since the "clutch" is in the fan (a sealed unit), all you need is a new fan. If I had this problem, I'd just install an electric fan like the flexalite 183 for $350. If strapped for cash Im sure a stock fan could be found at a junkyard for $20.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garef
How does the electric work? What do you mean being able to control why it turns on and off?

Any recommendations on a direct replacement fan clutch?

Just trying to weigh up my options.

The electric fan kits like the flex-a lite 183 and 180 come with a controller, so when you want the fan to kick on you set it to come on at a predetermined temperature , and then it will come on there always, so if you want it on at 180 degrees, it will kick on and reduce your temperature 15-20 degrees then turn off. Same thing at any temperature setting

Old 10-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Garef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, I just decided to go the poor mans route and change the fan clutch for a used one from a 2007 Ram. It worked like a treat. Truck sounds so much quieter now, I can't believe the difference and I can't believe I've been driving it like that since I bought it about 18 months ago. I deserve a kick in the butt for that. On another note, it took about 15 minutes to change it over. I even made myself my own handy tool for the job, to hold the water pulley in place, so managed to save a few dollars as well. All in all about a $40 job.

Thanks again for the help and I hope this thread helps someone else out.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling Fan Never Shuts Off