3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:12 PM
RedSS454
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher

Anybody carry a Fire Extinguisher around with them? I know the odds of a fire are slim, but rather safe then sorry and I always follow the 6 P Principle. So, does anyone have them in their cab? How did you mount it? Is it in the way?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Old 10-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: Fire Extinguisher

As a racer, I quickly came to appreciate the importance of having fire extinquishers everywhere: house, shop, and in ALL vehicles (except my bike, 'cause there just isn't a place). My more valuable vehicles/toys have a couple at different easy-to-access places.

As for the Ram, I've one mounted onto the plastic tray directly behind the driver's seat and another mounted in the bed. When using the truck to tow and service the race car, another big'un in the cab loose behind and between the seat in easy reach (as required by the sanctioning body).

And no, the one mounted permanently (with the supplied bracket) behind the driver's seat is no problem, not in the way in the least, even with the seat all the way back (as I recall).

As you may have guessed, I've dealt with vehicle fires in the past and I can assure you that one cannot have too much fire protection if you ever need it, even once! Just DO it!

All the best.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:58 AM
GotHemi?
Professional

I have a small Kidde extinguisher, the one for marine and auto I believe, mounted under my cup holders on the tranny hump. This is where the 4X4 lever would go if I had it. I used the provided screws and the provided mounting bracket. The screws really aren't long enough but I really did not want to penetrate the floor anyway. These short screws are just into the carpet and sound proofing material, it has never worked loose and the guys at the carwash have never knocked it out vacuuming the interior. There is even enough room for a middle passenger to place their feet. One full winter and one full summer of temperature changes and the thing still dosent need to be recharged, oh yeah, it was about 14 bucks at auto zone too.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:38 PM
RedSS454
Veteran

Avanti, I came to the same appreciation after I almost burnt down my Chevelle. (Stupid me. Never disconnected the battery, hit the valve cover to the alternator, shorted the system...smoke fire yadda yadda) Ever since then I have been a little paranoid about having one. At first I thought the bed would be a good idea, but with the Tonneau cover on it, it would take to long to get to. Is your truck a RC or a QC?

GotHemi?, how far up does the extinguisher stick? That is a perfect place, but I don't really want it sticking out into the cabin to far. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like? I would greatly appreciate it,

Thanks again guys,
Chris

Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Avanti
Captain

Here is my RC cab install (gray foam keeps it from rattling). The bigger extinquisher in the bed is bunjied to a 2x6 across the rear most OEM drop-in liner slots.

The one behind the seat doesn't get kicked around and is quick and easy to get to. I've mounted them in front of the seats in several of my cars but find they invariably get in the way of something... different strokes.

Stay safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14944/4566AB5281714FB59D7439D523A4C665.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
mill500
Veteran

Nice looking install, Avanti. You make a good point on the necessity of it, plus my friend who is a Fire Chief would get some major wood seeing that. I'd have to figure out where to put it in my QC. I'm wondering if one of my Wave Runner extinquishers would fit it the seat compartment...they may even be a little big.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher