3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door lock kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 09:46 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door lock kit

what do you guys think of this setup ... thinking about picking it up and having it installed

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=W02F-B6000

Old 10-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: door lock kit

I'd want to see their "vehicle specific wiring sheet" BEFORE buying, not afterwards. But, if you have an experienced installer, it may not matter.

All the best.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

ORIGINAL: Avanti

I'd want to see their "vehicle specific wiring sheet" BEFORE buying, not afterwards. But, if you have an experienced installer, it may not matter.

All the best.
i'm not an installer personally but i'm working on getting one out of the shop and doing some work on the side for me ... maybe for a quick $100 or so and a couple cold beers

Old 10-03-2005, 02:00 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

A good audio/electronics shop should be able to do it for pretty cheap.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 AM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

A good audio/electronics shop should be able to do it for pretty cheap.
yea i figure that but i was wondering more about the alarm in the package ... is it any good? i mean i guess it really just needs to work ... if someone wants to steal my truck an alarm isn't gonna stop them ... what should i look for in a good actuator?? do they burn out often?

Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Avanti
Captain

Considering the number of car security systems that "false alarm," I'm not sure they are a deterrent to any car thief worth the label, since everyone seems to ignore them; they seem to mainly be a PITA for everyone else! Were it me and I wanted the lock activation, per se, I'd look for just that and forget the alarm altogether. As I recall I got one for my wife's plain-jane Intrepid for 30 or 40 bucks from JCWhitney.

Your call.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

Here are my thoughts (from a long-time installation tech of 20+ years so far):

If your going to have a shop install this kit, then buy a kit and/or alarm system and actuators from the shop itself. They will not warranty items that you buy from somebody else. To top that off MES is some off-brand of which even I am not familiar with. Most shops charge about $50 labor a door for the locks and about $200-$250 for an alarm from say Code-Alarm(thats who makes the OEM MOPAR alarms), Viper(DEI), Clifford, etc. Most name brand manufacturers offer lifetime warranties and most shops will offer the same on their labor(I do). The actuators are about $15 each, plus 30 amp relays that should be around $5 each. Some systems are already setup with internal relays and so you may not need extras.

Best places to go might be those that are recommended by the dealership(s) of your brand. 9 times out of 10 if you go to the shop they use you'll have it done right since they will be familiar with your brand/vehicle to begin with.

Quick Reply: door lock kit