3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When 2 Dodges collide

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 AM
Road Warrior
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When 2 Dodges collide

ORIGINAL: ADR

HEMI_OFF_ROAD is correct all auto airbags are built with a sensor that receives information from an accelerometer built into a microchip. The logic in the chip basically makes the decision on weather or not to deploy the airbag. Of course most systems are not wholly computer dependant and can be deployed by a mass shift that closes an electrical contact. So your both right In the case of this accident the accelerometer did not trigger the airabag and neither was the damage so great as to close the contact by force.

Also remember in your overpass example you don't need to put your foot on the brake to slow down, the overpass will decelerate you all by itself
OK, since you put it that way it makes sense. At least I was partially right.

Maybe kniteraven was traveling fast enough and the van was positioned just right so it took most of the force, his sensors didn't see a need to blow the bag.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad nobody got hurt - that's the main thing. Vehicles are expendable and easily replaced.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:01 AM
kingaling1986
Amateur

Glad to know everyone's OK and that your truck kept you safe for the most part. I had a similar experience with a Caravan, only hers recieved very little damage and ruined my old explorer. Thank God it was her fault and I didn't have to feel the wrath of insurance...

Old 10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

Hey glad that everyone is fine, not sure if you had seen my post earlier "My Toy has been Crushed" I'm here in Iraq and I got the call from my wife when she got in her accident last month. It ended up being 8K to fix and that was just the right front wheel well and side of the bed. I'd almost garrenty that you baby is totaled, but again glad everyones safe.

H- (DaHipaKea)

Old 10-07-2005, 06:55 PM
HEMI_OFF_ROAD
Professional

OK, since you put it that way it makes sense. At least I was partially right.

Maybe kniteraven was traveling fast enough and the van was positioned just right so it took most of the force, his sensors didn't see a need to blow the bag.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad nobody got hurt - that's the main thing. Vehicles are expendable and easily replaced.
As preiously noted, you dont need brakes to stop, the collision does a very good job. There reasons for the airbags not to deploy when you hit something, but dont slow down real fast. Its because if there isnt a fast decelleration, then you are not very likely to smack your face into the steering wheel or windshield. AND if the vehicle is still moving at fast pace then your are still capable to hit something very hard and cause the vehicle to come to a rapid stop. In essences, the airbags dont deploy unless absolutely neccesary and are preserving them for when they may actually be needed. Some airbags even have a reserve so that in the case of multiple hits.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:30 AM
kniteraven

First off, thanks everyone for all the replies. I've learned a lot of interesting things about air bags in the last week. It has been made official that the truck is not worth repairing. The autobody shop reached an estimate of $21,240. He said he only needed 18 G's to total it, so once he passed 21 G's he just quit writing. He guessed there were another 10 grand or so of things to be fixed. I'm now getting ready to order a 2006 Ram with the new MDS Hemi. Curious to see how well that works.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Road Warrior
Amateur

ORIGINAL: kniteraven

First off, thanks everyone for all the replies. I've learned a lot of interesting things about air bags in the last week. It has been made official that the truck is not worth repairing. The autobody shop reached an estimate of $21,240. He said he only needed 18 G's to total it, so once he passed 21 G's he just quit writing. He guessed there were another 10 grand or so of things to be fixed. I'm now getting ready to order a 2006 Ram with the new MDS Hemi. Curious to see how well that works.

Sorry about your truck - let us know when you get the new one and post some pictures. Again, I'm glad you're ok - it could have been a lot worse.

Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 AM
mullinax05

I'm glad that everyone is ok. I looked at the pictures and believe they will total it. I wouldn't take it back if they try to fix it.

Quick Reply: When 2 Dodges collide