3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear pinion seal and crush sleeve replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 AM
hawkman52302
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear pinion seal and crush sleeve replacement

I have an 03 ram 2500. It was chirping and sqeeling for the past couple weeks. I replaced the rear u joint in it and the took away the sqeek at low speed. But, it is losing a small amount of fluid out of the rear end leading me to think the rear pinion seal also needs replaced. I read somewhere when you replace it you should also replace the crush sleeve as well. I have a few questions about this. Would any of this explain why i still hear a squeek. It sounds almost like rubbing your fingers on a balloon. secondly, should i replace only pinion seal or pinion seal and crush sleeve. And lastly are there any important things i should do or know when replacing the pinion seal and if needed the crush sleeve. Thank you. Its much appreciated.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably want to determine if the noise is coming from the differential or wheels. If the noise is coming from the differential replacing just the seal is just a waste of time. I would guess you got bad bearings but probably not real bad yet. I just had my diff rebuilt on Monday it was making quite a bit of noise at low speed and whined at around 60. The bearings did not look that bad to me but a little burnt but a little rough when rotated.
When they replace just the pinion seal you do not replace the crash sleeve which would require dis-assembly. When you put the flange back on you are supposed to return it to achieve 5 additional inch pounds to rotate the pinion with the axles pulled. There is a detailed procedure in the service manual but I would not trust most technician to follow it and that includes the dealership. A drive-line specialty shop if you can find one would be your best option to have it looked at.

Quick Reply: rear pinion seal and crush sleeve replacement