3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I figure out if a truck can pull a 17,500GVWR Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will also need to consult what your truck is licensed for. A sticker and annual inspection is usually required if you are over 4500 kilograms. If you exceed that amount and get caught you will probably be guilty of a long list of other offenses...and hauling a tri-axle with a 1500 will certainly get you attention.
Steve

Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think a cattle trailer has a gooseneck hitch. You will need a truck with a gooseneck. Many farmers would have one and some RV transporters might have a gooseneck.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ***** McNasty
Thank you everyone for your responses so far. I asked what "A" truck can pull rather than " My" truck to avoid anyone thinking I'm going to do this with my truck & accidentally kill myself or/& other motorists.

I have stumbled on a very nicely priced 24' cattle trailer that I would like to pull about 40 miles. I will then repaint it & sell it.

I asked how to figure out if "A" truck can pull said trailer because I have other trucks at my disposal. That being said, on MY truck the sticker on the door says "GVWR 06700lbs"

Please, educate me as to what exactly that means. As I understand it that means my truck with everything in it & a trailer tongue wight must not exceed 6,700#. Is this correct?

Thanks
Maybe be a little more detailed next time in your Thread rather than So??? Threat titles are a brief description and since you posted your question in the 3rd Gen area which 98% of these trucks cannot haul, people assume you have the same truck as them.

GVWR is different rating than Towing capacity.

You need to focus on Towing capacity and Payload(specifically tongue weight)
Focus on those 2 areas and you will find your answers.

Side note: you will want/need load stabilizers for something big and heavy as that OR use a 5th wheel mount.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
3rd Gen area which 98% of these trucks cannot haul, people assume you have the same truck as them.

Please excuse my ignorance. I thought 3rd gen Tech included 1500,2500, & 3500. I guess need to broaden my horizons. Dirty, you are an informative & helpful guy. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ***** McNasty
Please excuse my ignorance. I thought 3rd gen Tech included 1500,2500, & 3500. I guess need to broaden my horizons. Dirty, you are an informative & helpful guy. Thanks.
Of course it includes all of the above. The point was that your original post listed your truck as a 1500 and you wanted to know what it would take to tow 18,000 pounds!!!!! Of course we are all going to assume you want to pull that with your listed truck!!! Even a One Ton won't handle that without a fifth wheel hitch, and even then, I think it would have to be a dually..
I guess I don't understand the above quote, specifically the "broaden my horizons" part!! No reply necessary, and no Sarcasm please!!!!!
It's all good!!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Willy McNasty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 66three83
Of course it includes all of the above. The point was that your original post listed your truck as a 1500 and you wanted to know what it would take to tow 18,000 pounds!!!!! Of course we are all going to assume you want to pull that with your listed truck!!! Even a One Ton won't handle that without a fifth wheel hitch, and even then, I think it would have to be a dually..
I guess I don't understand the above quote, specifically the "broaden my horizons" part!! No reply necessary, and no Sarcasm please!!!!!
It's all good!!!!
No sarcasm intended. We're all just trying to help each other out here. By broaden my horizons I meant become make familiar with the different sections of the forum.

Quick Reply: How do I figure out if a truck can pull a 17,500GVWR Trailer?