3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

voltage gauge drops

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
boquet6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage gauge drops

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6.7 liter Cummins. When I start my truck the voltage gauge drops to around 10, the check gauges light comes on and the electronic throttle control warning light comes on. The voltage gauge remains around 10 and the ECT remains on while the engine is running, the gauge does not recover. When the truck is turned off and restarted the voltage gauge reads normal and the check gauges light and ECT warning light stay off. I took my truck to Dodge and they said it was the batteries and they both were changed, this did not fix the problem. I would appreciate any help with this problem. I would like to know where to go with this before I spend more money.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an intermittent issue with my voltage gauge dropping to zero while driving, then after I pushed accelerator hard, it would come back to normal. I changed by alternator, that fixed it. Might want to have it tested when it is in this condition. Could try to see what voltage at battery is when working properly. Then measure again when problem is occurring. If voltage is the same I would think it is not the alternator. If voltage is lower when issue is occurring, quite possible it is the alternator.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I just went through the same thing a couple months back. Ended up being the alternator.

Quick Reply: voltage gauge drops