3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horn Honks when Turning Ignition to On

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 PM
shane.ozouf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Honks when Turning Ignition to On

Hi all,

I have a very unusual issue, and I can not find any information at all on the internet, so I'm hoping I can get some help.

I just recently bought a 2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab (for a pretty decent deal), and it is nearly 100% perfect. There was one thing mentioned that the horn didn't work. While changing the headlights, I noticed the horns were unplugged; so I plugged them in. I then discovered why they were unplugged...

When you put the key into the ignition and turn it to the On position, the horn honks 3 times; 2 medium length blasts and 1 short blast, it is 100% repeatable - so is obviously by design (ie. some sort of alarm or signal of something). It seems to happen regardless of state, door open, door closed, seatbelt on, doesn't seem to matter. It may be worth noting that I can also hear the relay click three times every time it is turned to on. There are no error codes or alarm lights on the dash.

There is an aftermarket deck installed, and there was an aftermarket Amp (that is no longer plugged in).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am guessing no, because a search on the internet didn't reveal much (it is difficult to search for this issue and filter out all the "how to turn horn off when locking" and "how to remove horn in reverse feature" threads).

Thanks in advance for any help I might get!

Quick Reply: Horn Honks when Turning Ignition to On