3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cant seem to shake this vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014 | 07:32 PM
straightline4construction
|
Default cant seem to shake this vibration issue

hello fellas...
I have an 05 1500 QC4x4....since day one it has had "issues", but I love this black bitch, so....
started with front end..I have replaced the ENTIRE front (several times) end from hub bearings to rack and pinion, upper control arm ball joints, lower ball joints, power steering pump, shocks... everything but the sway bar end links, which are broken, just havent gotten around to them yet.
7000 miles ago we put in a brand new 5.7 hemi, yes....OUCH....
It seems that I am constantly blowing up cv shafts....weekly...and I am rarely in 4wd? recently I crawled under another 05 and "inspected" differences looking for anything that would stop my heartache...noticed that my front driveshaft has some play at the "cv joint" side....up and down wobble...so I ordered a brand new one from lithia here in corpus....installed, changed rear ujoints....still bad and getting worse...
took the truck to driveshaft shop, they find wobble on BOTH ends of rear shaft....HOW? anyway, swapped driveshaft for a 66 1/2" shaft...one inch shorter...?
immediately got somewhat better, but within 600 miles it was back again...real hard at about 1500 to 2000 rpms....so I take OUT the front shaft completely....VIBE GOES AWAY...!!!
I am at a loss...brand new half shaft on passenger side has slop at stub shaft, driver side has a MILE of play at stub shaft....what is going on with this truck...!!!???

I apologize for the long post, but I have read the forums for a couple of years now, and I am a decent wrench, but I need some kind of direction to go, or else I will have to head toward toyota...thanks in advance

Quick Reply: cant seem to shake this vibration issue