3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Compatibility between 2004 Hemi ram and 2003 4.7L ram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
chipdogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compatibility between 2004 Hemi ram and 2003 4.7L ram?

I have a 2004 Ram that was laid on it's side this morning, likely totalling it since the cab is bent among other things. Looking at options here, found a 2003 1500 Crew Cab like mine with a blown 4.7L engine. Both have towing packages and are 4x4's, crew cabs, same box, etc.

Anybody know how much work to swap the engines? Same transmission in each (545RFE), same bellhousing pattern I assume? Just swap engine or would I have to swap harnesses/PCM too?

I've done plenty of swaps on smaller cars and wiring, and I figure with 2 whole trucks, it's relatively simple. Just wanna know how far I gotta dig into it...

Last edited by chipdogg; 01-13-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:11 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine swap will be easy, if you have the entire harness, etc, should be involved but pretty straight forward. Two totally different engines, you will need everything out of the hemi, including the FBW pedal. Lots of comparison beforehand.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM
chipdogg

Thanks, I'd have 2 complete trucks so whatever would be different I'd swap. Unfortunately insurance took a few days to get me acceptable numbers and the other truck is likely sold sometime this morning, but I think I'll be able to fix mine back up for $2000 or less. A few suspension parts, 2 doors, fender, and bumper and it'll be good enough. I'll see more when I get it home today. Not too concerned about the box, I wanted to make a dump bed for it anyways so now's my chance.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM
chipdogg

Well the other truck didn't sell, and I had a buddy go check it out. The doors were rusting through at the bottom, rockers were all rotted through, and he said the frame looked like it has been sitting in water for a while, no paint left on it. Not worth $3000. Looks like I'll be fixing mine up. I can get the front door open and closed, and it started right up and everything (except brakes) worked, although it didn't move since the right rear axle snapped off, and the front right tire is flat.

So I think I'll get away with new right rear axle and all the brake components back there, front right suspension parts, right rear door, front bumper, a new exhaust (was starting to rust through anyways), a new set of rims and tires (which I was going to get in 2 weeks), and a little dent pulling on front door, fender, and the bed for now.

Quick Reply: Compatibility between 2004 Hemi ram and 2003 4.7L ram?