3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sway bar end links

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 PM
cola
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sway bar end links

my 07 ram 1500, w/ level kit, keeps eating sway bar end links. I have to replace them every 4-6 mos... 15k miles, give or take. they have been moog parts. yes I'm on a dirt road, that is a mess at times, but still... anyone else have this problem? can anyone recommend a heavier duty one? has anyone fabbed a straight rod type link?

they are not a big deal to replace, just a pain in the rear and way too often.

thanks!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Make sure your not over tighting them on install. Make sure they are not in a bind, check the frame swaybar bushings, make sure they are good. You shouldn't need longer links.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could just take the sway bar off... Just a suggestion

Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM
cola
Amateur

Originally Posted by p38251
Make sure your not over tighting them on install. Make sure they are not in a bind, check the frame swaybar bushings, make sure they are good. You shouldn't need longer links.
thanks. sway bar bushing were replaced at the same time, this time. How do I know if I'm over tightening the links? They will only tighten so much? (sorry if its a silly question). they don't seem to be binding... I was originally told, longer links weren't necessary. Just don't understand why I'm burning thru them. Thanks for the reinforcement thought...

Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 PM
cola
Amateur

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
You could just take the sway bar off... Just a suggestion
doesnt removing the sway bar affect the ride, majorly? (unless it was sarcasm)... :-)

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not at all. I rode around for about 3 months without my sway bar and didn't notice it. I only put it back on because I was tired of driving around with it in my bed. I probably wouldn't try taking any sharp turns at high speed but you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my sway bar off for years now. I just realized that someone scrapped it just recently. My torsion bars are cranked a tad so my suspension is stiffer than stock. I actually like how it rides without it. It is finally true independent suspensioion without it LOL.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a pair of Moog's in the mail yesterday. I do not like the boot design or the flanged edge design. The boot is way too short and allows dirt and moisture in especially being upside down when mounted. It barely covers the flanged edge and gets stuck on the edge when maxed out because it is not a smooth edge but actually a sharp edge. Plus, the boot is super thin. The one was actually damaged right out of the box because of the thin boot and sharp edge of the link.

I would go with a sealed boot design even if it's not greasable. I think you'll have better luck since your probably maxed out more often and a sealed design isnt going to let debris in there(unless the boot tears)

You could also see if anyone makes extenders!! That will put your link ends to their proper stance and allow gereater articulation without maxing out!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
cola
Amateur

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I just got a pair of Moog's in the mail yesterday. I do not like the boot design or the flanged edge design. The boot is way too short and allows dirt and moisture in especially being upside down when mounted. It barely covers the flanged edge and gets stuck on the edge when maxed out because it is not a smooth edge but actually a sharp edge. Plus, the boot is super thin. The one was actually damaged right out of the box because of the thin boot and sharp edge of the link.

I would go with a sealed boot design even if it's not greasable. I think you'll have better luck since your probably maxed out more often and a sealed design isnt going to let debris in there(unless the boot tears)

You could also see if anyone makes extenders!! That will put your link ends to their proper stance and allow gereater articulation without maxing out!

I thought the same thing with the boot... upside down. I've search the web for heavy duty links, extensions, straight "rod" types... no luck. I guess it is what it is at this point. I appreciate the incite, and everyones points.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:38 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I has Napa master chassis links on my 04 1500. I had the torsion bars twisted up as well. You don't want to tighten them until they stop. That's too much. Snug until the bushings compress a little.

Quick Reply: sway bar end links