3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

cant find a tps for my truck why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM
swamper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant find a tps for my truck why?

my tps is bad on my truck and I cant drive it.I must of called 7 auto parts stores and not one has a throttle position sensor for a 03 5.7 hemi I cant understand why.advance can get me one but it will take 6 days they said I asked if they could fedex it over night they said no whats up with that?anyone know why that parts so hard to find?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty sure it's incorporated within your T/B because it's a fly-by-wire design.

What makes you think your TPS is bad anyways?

Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there is no TPS, regardless of what Advance says. Be glad they'd have to ship it. At least they just saved you $40 or so.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:57 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, it will generate TPS codes though. Very confusing.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 PM
swamper
Veteran

that's really odd because a repair shop told me theres a tps I don't understand why they would tell me that? hmmmm so theres no tps at all?what do you guys think this guy at the repair shop means when he saystruck needs a tps then?He told me that's why my truck was staling.

Last edited by swamper; 02-06-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 PM
swamper
Veteran

fly-by-wire design? not really sure what that is.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Take the air cleaner off the throttle body and you will see one connector. You have 2 TPS sensors internal to the throttle body. They may have just read the code and didn't look. It can throw codes for "TPS 1" and TPS 2"

You also have an "APP" sensor (sort of but still has a cable) under the battery tray. On newer ones the pedal position sensor is part of the gas pedal.

1 - BOTTOM OF BATTERY TRAY 2 - ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR 3 - APPS 4 - SWING-DOWN DOOR 5 - CABLE (TO PEDAL) 6 - CABLE RELEASE TAB

1 - THROTTLE BODY 2 - ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR 3 - SILICONE SEAL 4 - MOUNTING BOLTS (4)

Last edited by TNtech; 02-06-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM
swamper
Veteran

wow thanks for that well I cant check now I had the truck towed to a repair shop since I couldn't figure it out.sounds to me like they didn't check but then again the guy told me he ordered a tps for my truck from a parts store not sure what he means now cause when you call advance auto they will tell you for 39.99 they can order a tps for this truck.thanks tn tech!you know your stuff I should print this.thanks

Last edited by swamper; 02-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 PM
swamper
Veteran

ok so if the tps sensors are in the tb then I need a whole new tb since you cant remove them im guessing.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by swamper
wow thanks for that well I cant check now I had the truck towed to a repair shop since I couldn't figure it out.sounds to me like they didn't check but then again the guy told me he ordered a tps for my truck from a parts store not sure what he means now cause when you call advance auto they will tell you for 39.99 they can order a tps for this truck.thanks tn tech!you know your stuff I should print this.thanks
Originally Posted by swamper
ok so if the tps sensors are in the tb then I need a whole new tb since you cant remove them im guessing.

Well, since you asked for a TPS, they probably found it on a different engine in their catalog, I'm guessing. Yes, you have to replace the T-Body. 4 bolts and a connector...easy peasy. (That's IF it's not a wiring problem, but likely not)

Quick Reply: cant find a tps for my truck why?