3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drive Shaft U-Joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
McCaigBro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaft U-Joint replacement

Went and got my truck looked at Friday and the diagnosis was my U-Joint's were failing and my drive shaft was screwed up. I have a little experience with tiny fixes in my vehicle but I'm not even really sure what would entail fixing this.
They said that's what was making the clicking noise in my truck whenever I accelerated.
However, when I asked how to fix it they said the part they needed was backordered and they didn't know when they would ever be able to receive one and said my best option was to go after market, which would cost around $1,000+. Obviously, I would like to avoid that option.
They also mentioned that it could be rebuilt if I found someone who could do it.

They told me it was ok to drive and that the clicking noise was relatively quiet but it would get way louder and will eventually give out.

Just looking for some advice, I've never had this happen and also the place I went was recommended by a co-worker. I'm relatively new in the area and don't have any relations with any shops.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what they are talking about. You can replace the entire drive-shaft for less than that amount. What area are you in. If you can find a drive-line specialty shop that is probably the best place to have it looked at.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the sounds of it, the drive line shop would be the best bet, because, if the drive line is bent or out of balance, the driveline shop can take care of it right away instead of sending it out, -------to a driveline shop, duh, for repair

Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Is this the rear driveshaft? I've changed the u-joint on front driveshaft which is very easy to do with free rental tool from autozone.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider how much its going to cost if you don't fix it and a U-Joint breaks while your flying down the highway.
Driveline shop is best bet. Save money by removing your driveshafts yourself.
Our shop is $100/hr plus parts.
Not sure what we charge for driveline but we do that daily.
I don't, but we have a guy that's all he does.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
McCaigBro

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the Stephenville, Texas area btw. I feel like I might just be getting shafted by a place in town that knows I'm not familiar with the prices for such a repair.

All the businesses in town are closed today due to an ice storm, but I'll get it in by the end of the week to a driveline shop.

Also, I've avoided any highway driving since I've had it diagnosed. Top speed has just been in town going 45, so I'm trying the best I can to not stress it any more than it needs to be.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be prepared though. Some driveshafts aren't fixable and replacement is your option. I've seen some come through our shop that require ordering special parts and some get tossed out and new rebuildable ones were made.
Doesn't help cost today but will in the future.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft U-Joint replacement