3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help. high idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM
cgray52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please help. high idle

having issues with my*truck. Its a 2004 ram 1500 with a 4.7. It has a little over 208,000 miles on it. My issue is that it is idling around 1800*rpm*while in park. It drops to about 1100 rpm when you put it in gear. Ive replaced the throttle position sensor and the idle air control. Checked for vacuum*leaks*but couldn't find any. The throttle cable moves freely and so does the butterfly. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it. When driving the truck it will*gain*speed*up to about 50 mph. While driving if you put it in neutral the engine will rev to around 3000 rpm. Sorry for being long winded, just trying to pass on any info that would be useful. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Old 02-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgray52
having issues with my*truck. Its a 2004 ram 1500 with a 4.7. It has a little over 208,000 miles on it. My issue is that it is idling around 1800*rpm*while in park. It drops to about 1100 rpm when you put it in gear. Ive replaced the throttle position sensor and the idle air control. Checked for vacuum*leaks*but couldn't find any. The throttle cable moves freely and so does the butterfly. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it. When driving the truck it will*gain*speed*up to about 50 mph. While driving if you put it in neutral the engine will rev to around 3000 rpm. Sorry for being long winded, just trying to pass on any info that would be useful. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
A vacuum leak or cracked manifold is really the main thing that would cause this kind of issue.... did you do a smoke test to check for any cracks on the underside of the intake manifold? or anywhere else that you can't see beyond the TB.

Also, are you throwing any DTCs? (is the check engine light on?)

If so, What are the trouble codes?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM
cgray52

There isn't any codes. I haven't done a smoke test on it. How would I go about doing it

Old 02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Izero
Champion

There isn't any codes. I haven't done a smoke test on it. How would I go about doing it
Most good shops will have one... basically they hook up a machine to the intake and they pump it into the intake and look for leaks.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
A vacuum leak or cracked manifold is really the main thing that would cause this kind of issue.... did you do a smoke test to check for any cracks on the underside of the intake manifold? or anywhere else that you can't see beyond the TB.

Also, are you throwing any DTCs? (is the check engine light on?)

If so, What are the trouble codes?

agreed, ^^^^^^ would also quit driving it until you find the culprit, if its a manifold or similar leak, you might liquefy the top of a piston or valve seat/valve

Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM
cgray52

Thanks. I hope to find it soon. Its been a good truck. Up until a few days ago it was still a daily driver of 200 miles a day.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM
cgray52

It was a vacuum leak. The 90 degree elbow on the back of the air intake manifold was split. Simple fix but hard to find. Thanks for your help

Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Izero
Champion

It was a vacuum leak. The 90 degree elbow on the back of the air intake manifold was split. Simple fix but hard to find. Thanks for your help
called it!

Glad you found it!

Quick Reply: Please help. high idle