3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 PM
turbospeed440
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi performance

im looking to do some performance upgrades on my 05' quad cab daytona edition truck. but before i go buy anything has anybody done anything and have dyno charts to show an increase. i know that doing a blower with increase power. but doing intake,chip,pulleys. What are u really gonna get.
Any feed back would be great.
thanks
paul

Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: hemi performance

A blower? There are two that I've heard of and both have major issues. I'd stand a bit away from that avenue. Air intake? As soon as the computer readjusts, that will be money down the tubes unless you want to reset it every couple hundred miles. Chip? If you are referring to Jet Chip, that too is worthy of passing up. Pulleys may give you some benefit, but enough to make a difference?

Want the biggest bang for the buck? Superships 3815. Headers. Exhaust.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:57 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how much power you wanna make and how much you want to spend.

I have the upgraded STS turbo, on my 04. I make 450 at the tires.

HP costs $$$$.

You have to give more info on what you want to do and how much you have to spend.

You can make a lot of power for a lot less money with a good, solid nitrous setup.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:50 AM
Avanti
Captain

I currently own a couple supercharged street cars (Vortech and Kenne Bell, with a new Paxton system on the shop shelf with nothing to put it on right now) and we race a twin-turbo (and before that, twin, staged Paxtons). I've owned and raced a number of others, all with great success. The biggest issue with forced-induction is often the tune--critical to driveability and longlife under boost. Make sure the fuel mapping is correct and you should be okay. However, that said, most don't really want or need that much power. Some of us do, though.

Btw, the KB is the best I've ever run on the street... hopefully, KB'll get the bugs worked out of the hemi unit--tuning, again, as I understand it--that they prematurely started advertising some time ago.

This may sound a little goofy at first blush, but bear with me... If you want to see the effects of various mods from mild to wild on an engine much like the hemi in terms of displacement and power, spend some time on corvetteforum.com in the C-5 technical area. Comparable engine in many ways. Lurk for a few days or do a search for whatever combo of mods you are interested in and there will be many who have done them and have wheel-dynoed, often before and after. Much real data available. There is also a dedicated forced-induction section.

All the best.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:04 PM
turbospeed440

i know hp cost cash. i dont mind spending 3-5k for performance upgrades. i want reliablity, and functionality. what kind of real numbers can i see if i do superchip,intake

if i do headers that will give me hp but lose tq. I thought hp is for pulling high rpms on highway and torqe is for 0-60 time

Old 10-13-2005, 12:35 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

If you are willing to spend the money, go with forced induction. It will give you more HP than anything else. By the way, the 15hp here 20hp here claims don't add up. Sometimes they will even take away from something you already added. It is all about balance.

What do you plan on doing the with extra HP. We can give you more help if we knew more about your future plans.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
turbospeed440

i plan on just racing the truck on the street looking to run a mid to high 13 sec in teh quarter mile. looking to get 500 to 550 hp out of it at the wheels
im looking at the novi charger but i might wait to see what kenny bell does with his

thanks guys
paul

Quick Reply: hemi performance