3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about lift spindles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Questions about lift spindles

I bought a pair of 3" in lift spindles and was wondering if anyone has had any problems or tricks getting these put on?.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I would check and see if you ball joints need to be replaced since now would be the time. If you old ones are fine, be careful not to rip the boot.

Make sure you remove the ball joint nuts completely, the hand tighten them back on. If you don't do this before removing the spindle, the ball joint would just spin as you try loosing the nut.

Also, the spindle will not just come off the ball joint. The taper holding the two together is seriously on there. The only way to remove it is by applying downward force to the spindle then hitting it with a alb sledge hammer. A mallet won't work. You need the metal to metal vibration to break the taper loose.

All in all, it's a very straight forward and easy job to do. It would probably take you two solid hours to complete.

Oh also, if you leave the wheel bearing on after removing the spindle, don't set the unit on the metal brake rotor shield. You will bend it and you'll here a grinding noise and will have to get under there and try to bend it back.

I would also park the truck and do it in a spot where you can leave it for a day or two incase you run into any problems or need to order parts.

That is all I can think of right now. BTW, I don't have new spindles. However, I have removed mine and re-installed them when I replace all my front end components.

Quick Reply: Questions about lift spindles