3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM
DWCEngland03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end overhaul

Well my drivers side front strut started leaking and now my passenger side has lost all of its fluid. Was hoping for it to warm up outside a little more first but now it can't wait too much longer. I am looking to do everything once and save time in the future. Truck has 85k so can't complain as it has held up this long with New England pot holes.

Here is my shopping list if you can let me know if I am missing anything I should do at the same time with the front disassembled

New moog lower ball joints (greasable)
New moog upper ball joints with uca (greasable)
Bilstein 5100 struts
Bushing for strut to lower control arm (hopefully save time trying to preserve the original one)
Control arm bushings (most likely moog as I can't find any poly ones)

Should I replace bushings on the stabilizer bar?
Also should I purchase new springs and or the upper spring mounting plate?

Tie rod ends where replaced about 2 years ago (35k)
Will most likely buy blistering for the rear too. Is there anything else on the rear I should do?

Also it's a 2008 1500 QC 5.7l 4x4 big horn - stock all around but time to lift/level a little

Any tips or replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Dave M
Rookie

I used struts that came with the springs attached. I got them from rock auto. Get the lower strut bushings because chances are your going to have to destroy them getting that lower bolt out. I think I've replaced everything in my front end except the other lower control arm bushings. And I'm still getting noise hopefully that's it. Rock auto has good prices. I had to replace an upper ball joint and it was almost cheaper for me to but a whole new upper control arm with two new bushings and a ball joint already in, then just buying the ball joint locally. Also the struts I got raised my front end 1/2 inch, and I wasn't even trying to. After replacing the struts I couldn't believe how much better and tighter the truck rode.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 PM
BobK
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you pop the lower ball joint off, the lower strut bolt comes out and goes back in super easy.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 PM
spuldup
Rookie

Your list looks like a fun long weekend! A torch and air hammer are pretty vital there.

I would replace the rear shocks at minimum. It is a 1 hour task. I used monore coilovers and they raise the rear about 1" and make a firmer (IMO, better) ride. If you haul anything, they reduce the squat a good bit. I would not use them if not leveling the front. I had the rears in for a few weeks before the 5100's (at 2" lift), and it looked weird and felt too light in the rear.

Stabilizer bushings and greseable end links are cheap, and easy compared to the rest of your list. I'd go for it. I drove around for a while after w/o the bar and did not like it. If you do more pavement driving, it is worthile to keep the bar and to have firm bushings.

Going from 85k NE roads to those 5100s and new bushings, you'll feel like you are driving a racecar! Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply: Front end overhaul