3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about the 20" rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Travis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the 20" rims

I just bought a brand new 2005 Dodge 1500 with a hemi a couple days ago and I'm wondering about the rims. I am sure that there are two different versions of the rim, being chrome and polished aluminum. I have the aluminum. I was told that the chrome ons are just a cover that hugs a standard rim or something like that? Is that true? Secondly, was the factory option more expensive to get the aluminum or the chrome? Thanks very much.

-Travis

Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR
Default RE: Question about the 20" rims

To answer one of your questions, yes the chrome 20's are an insert cover. Back in '03 they initially weren't like that but mid year or so they switched to the covered overlay.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the pastic covers! I am going to stop at the dealer this week and check out the 06 rims, like the design, if they are not covers I am going to keep my eye on EBay.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Jerdog706

Once I got home and "really" went over the truck, I couldn't believe my frickin eyes. I double-checked, and sure enough, the 20's were chromed plastic covers!!! I went back to the Dodge website and to the glossy brochures, and guess what? ALL of the literature says "chrome-clad", not chrome wheels, not cheesey-*** Pep Boys aftermarket garbage, not Tiajuana chrome,,,,,,nope it says "chrome-clad"......My mistake, and I can't believe I didn't notice sooner[sm=headbang.gif] I was now wondering about pawning the plastic off on someone else and having the wheels powder-coated,,,,,,

Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

THe other option is to sell them, they pull 500-600 on EBay. Then buy a real set. There is a place on EBay that sells the SRT-10 truck rims (knockoffs) in 20" and 22", if I am not mistaken the 20s go for 1600.

I am going to opt for waiting on 06 used EBay rims. If they are real

Old 10-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Avanti
Captain

The operative term here is cheap, but on the other hand, chrome plated aluminum, though all the current rage, has its own problems. A main one being lifting at the tire bead after the tires are mounted for a while and are removed. I chrome lots of parts, many in aluminum (but never aluminum wheels), and my plater says that nothing has changed technologically in this regard--it is the same as ever, but people want bling and there are many ready to give it to them. Ever known anyone satisfied with trying to deal with any wheel company's plating warranty?

So, I'd suggest: 1) pitching the plastic covers (or using them til they turn to crap, as they certainly will), 2) paint or powder-coat your stock wheels, or 3) buy something else you like. Good quality aluminum wheels (preferably forged or spun cast) can be polished to look nearly chrome-like. I recommend NOT clear-coating them so that the inevitable nicks and dings can be readily and easily dealt with. All it takes is a quick polish with Mother's or similar once or twice a year (if you are fanatical) to keep them shiny and bright.

However, one caveat on the last (3 above) and that is invariably OEM-style "knockoffs" are cheap castings from China, or in some instances Korea. They are not particularly well made and weigh even more than real OEM--evey time for any I've seen to date. One doesn't want any more unsprung weight, even on a truck.

All the best.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
hill115side
Amateur

What years are clad and what years are chrome?, or chrome never exected?

Is thier a year to look for? Will the 06 rims be chromed of BS clad as well?

Quick Reply: Question about the 20" rims