3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM
wyomingchad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering problems

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with 5.9 and 92000 miles. When completing a turn the steering wheel "jerks" back to the center position. The steering wheel turns smooth and I only get this feeling as it is turning back to the center position. I do not hear any noises either.

I can also feel it in the truck when turning, more so when I turn left. I would describe it as if the truck was catching on something when turning.

I do not feel any vibrations in the steering wheel when driving straight.

I checked the power steering reservoir and it is full. But I did notice the sound of air "woshing" out when I twited the reservoir cap off and not sure if this is normal.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

With 92k it wouldn't be a bad idea to flush the PS reservoir and cooler with new ATF4 fluid. Other that than, the PS system is very simple. All you have is the PS pump, cooler and R&P. You have a 50/50 chance of it either being the pump or the R&P

Quick Reply: steering problems